SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
charlieboring

Sprouting Artichokes and Leeks

Charlie
9 years ago

My artichoke and leek seeds have sprouted. It is probably a bit early. I have them under daylight strength shop lights. They were planted in cups and other containers and are covered with plastic (creating a minigreenhouse effect) in my basement and I am considering removing the plastic covers to allow room to grow. Since I will not transplant them until the last frost date (about April 15), I am going to transplant them to larger containers and keep them under lights. I intend to vernalize the artichokes. I started the seeds on January 1; the transplants will be ready to be planted out by the end of April, but they must be vernalized first by exposing plants to considerably cold temperatures at about 40� F for 2-4 weeks to achieve proper vernalization. Around the middle of March I will expose them to the vernalization temperature when the temps are acceptable, until I transplant them out around April 30. I don't believe the leeks require vernalization, so I will transplant them into the garden around in May. Any suggestions?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer