SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheriz6

Favorite books read in 2012

sheriz6
11 years ago

I am a huge fan of the year-end book list, and it's always fun to see what everyone liked best. (It also helps to add to next year's TBR pile ...)

This year, my favorites were (in no particular order):

The Devil in White City by Erik Larsen -- a thrilling true story, told like a novel.

The Magicians and The Magician King by Lev Grossman -- a dark take on teen-age wizardry that I could not put down.

The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach -- this was a beautifully written book that had everything, including love, loss and baseball.

Shadow of the Night by Deborah Harkness -- the sequel to last year's A Discovery of Witches started out a bit worrisome, but quickly found its footing. I loved it and can't wait for the final book in the trilogy.

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern -- another beautifully written book quite unlike anything else I've read. There were star-crossed wizards here. too, but the mood and tone and wonder of the story elevated it far beyond the usual fantasy novel.

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline -- I think you have to be or have been a gamer to really love this, and coming of age in the 1980s helps, too. As I qualify on both counts, I thought this was brilliant.

Caravan by Dorothy Gilman -- recommended here by Chris in the Valley, I picked it up because I had enjoyed the Mrs. Polifax books decades ago but I had no idea what to expect. This was a terrific story in every way.

So, what were your favorite books read in 2012?

Comments (34)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County