SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
agnes_w_gw

Curious Tomato plant habit

Agnes_W
11 years ago

I have a Gardeners Delight plant which was grown from seed (from a recognised source) and was given a yellow tom which I have no idea what variety it is. Both these plants have developed trusses, flowering and fruiting as usual but then the stem of the truss has continued to grow. I've never seen that before and I wondered if anyone knows what causes it. Our weather has been a bit erratic and it took a long time before they started showing signs of flowers/fruit developing. They are not as prolific as they have been in the past and I've just put that down to the late frosts. All the tomato plants are grown as uprights and all treated the same way but these two plants are the only ones with this curious habit which affects more than one truss on both plants. Also I didn't know whether cutting the extra length off would have any ill effects on the fruit although I would think it's using it's energy to develop the 2nd truss on the stem. The photo I've attached shows the fruit, centre right and the stem continuing upward. (I've tied it up for the photo). There also looks as if there are little nubs of adventitious roots on the extra stems. The greenhouse has shading and automatic vents. I also have another GD plant grown from home harvested seed and it's fine. Any information/advice would be appreciated.

Comments (2)