SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
first_timer_2007

Phoenix Canariensis Help!

first_timer_2007
16 years ago

I bough a Phonenix Canariensis from my local B&Q a few months ago. When I got it home I put it in a large pot on the patio, with peat-free compost in it. It is in a good sunny position.

Since I got it, it has developed rusty dark areas (spots and along the edges) on the larger lower leaves and it has now spread to the smaller new leaves which are growing from the middle of the plant.

Is this caused by underwatering? When we first got the plant we went on holiday thinking it would be ok unwatered for a week and I have since found out that was not good.

Is it because of the cold climate (it's in Lancashire but by the sea), or does it need fertiliser? We have applied some black-spot remover but is that really the problem?

Perhaps we should keep it indoors in the porch instead?

Any ideas? Will it recover? Any help would be appreciated as we want to get some more and we do not wish to kill those as well!

Comments (10)

• ornata
    16 years ago

I don't know if this helps, but...

I've had lots of palms over the years, both as houseplants and outdoors. The one thing that seems guaranteed to kill them off is root-rot, cause either by the plant standing in water or by potting it into too large a container. If the container is significantly larger than the one it was in, there will be a large volume of stagnant compost around the plant's roots. Compost in a pot does not behave in the same was as soil surrounding a plant's roots in the ground. There won't be sufficient air getting to the roots and they will start to die off. (Sorry this is such a gross simplification; I'm sure that other people could give you the proper scientific explanation.)

Phoenix canariensis seems not to mind its compost drying out occasionally, so I wouldn't have thought that would be the reason. Equally, unless you've had bad frosts over the past few months, I don't think it would be the cold.

Just my opinion - I could be wrong about the cause of the brown spots.

• eva55
    16 years ago

Hi
    I also have the same experience with Phoenix Canariensis which I also bought at local B&Q. It just started to develop brown spots as described above.

I tend to agree with ornata that it might be due to water. I left the pot in a tray which collected rain water.

If the roots started to rot I wonder whether this process is reversible?

I also wonder whether I should bring the plant in for the winter or cover it with something?

Thanks for your advice.

• Related Discussions

Phoenix canariensis canary date palm vs Pindo Jelly Butia capitat

Q

Comments (2)
    Since you live in SoCal I think Phoenix canariensis will be the least demanding. Pindos can thrive by you, but prefer some more humidity and water and also might be slower growing than dates in your area. And if you want a fast growing palm than Jubaea's arent the palm for you because they grow really slowww.
    ...See More

phoenix canariensis palm

Q

Comments (3)
    Not enough info from your posting to answer your question. They are really easy so something basic is wrong. What kind of soil did you use? Is drainage good? Where is the plant? How are you watering? Post a picture if possible.
    ...See More

How cold can phoenix canariensis withstand?

Q

Comments (8)
    Yeah, Im going to say they can handle about down to 20F. Some are grown well in the southern parts of the outer banks of NC but thats a mild zone 8b maybe even a borderline 9a. I think lower than 20F will kill it, but they can definitely handle below 30F (they were not damaged in many parts of central florida last winter from the historic freeze which brought temps to the mid to upper 20s a few times at night). They dont like wet and cold. Thats a very bad combo for most palms and a very common combo for areas in the east during the winter months. There are other palms and even other phoenix palms that can handle lower temps and give you a similar effect. I think a pindo palm would the the next best thing for a more cold tolerant version of that type of effect. But I think you can get a phoenix canariensis to survive the winter with some protection. In a zone 8 I dont think your temps drop below 20 too often so just protect it when temps are forecasted to drop below 25F if you really want one. Good luck! -Alex
    ...See More

Phoenix canariensis height in zone 8

Q

Comments (3)
    It depends on the winter temperatures, and whether or not it is protected or sheltered. If it is left in the open on a night with single digits and some wind, you're probably going to lose the palm.
    ...See More
  • greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    16 years ago

I had a P. Dactylifera (the true Date Palm) from B&Q several years ago, it was potted in a fine black powdery 'soil' and the same thing happened, the fronds all turned brown and spotty. I had nothing to loose so resorted to a drastic remedy, I cut them all off right down to the stump, re-potted it in fresh free draining gritty compost. Today I have an 8 frond plant almost 5ft high. I find they like deep watering but dont like constantly wet feet. I treat my seed sown P. Canariensis the same. Read that both kinds are susceptible to leaf spot and need to be treated with fungicide.
    Gill.

• Shazia
    14 years ago

Hi

I chose to buy my canary island palm just from looking at the leaves! They are so beautiful! I need to know how to care for it. When I bought it, the leaves were lovely and green but now the points have browned and two leaves are dying and one leaf is not looking too well. I only have experience of growing geraniums, roses and a castor oil plant which began to die when I brought it home. It was years ago and I took it to a gardener who began by taking the whole plant out of the pot and sifting through the roots. He found a maggot and shouted 'there's your cause' and the castor oil plant grew well after that. It got so big, I decided to sell it. It got flowers on top, it was taller than me (about 7ft 6) and it was producing seeds which were gernimating all around it in the pot. I didn't want that many castor oil plants so I sold it.

So when I bought the canary island palm (phoenix canariensis)I began to sift through the roots to make sure there was nothing chomping at the roots. I discovered it had a ball root and I couldn't get it back into the pot, so I chopped some off.

Now, I'm worried. Will it die from the root trauma I gave it?

Also, I wanted to take cuttings from it so that I would have loads of them planted outside and if any got stolen, I could just think 'ha!!! I still got the main one!! You can't take that!!' because people keep steeling my roses. I plant them and days later, the whole plant goes missing. I have the main ones secure so they can't be stolen!

So I took a leaf from the canariensis and planted it. It too seems to be dying.

Please help!!!!! I want to know how to look after the main canariensis and I want to take cuttings and plant them outside to fill up my front yard and stop the neighbour's six cats dolloping there.

There is really nothing more unsightly then taking two hours to get ready to go out only to step out and first experience the horrific whiff of fresh dollops!!! AND if there are no fresh ones when I leave, those cats certainly get some ready and waiting for when I get back!! It's a nightmare!! I've tried repellents but the cats don't seem bothered. My roses do the trick but I wanted more green.

So please help

Shazia

• shazya
    14 years ago

Hi

I'm sorry everyone. I wasn't a member and I was very worried about my problem and wanted to post it asap. I hadn't read about anyone else's Canariensis problems. Now that I have, I feel at ease about chopping some root. I wonder if I should do what Gill did and chop the roots to a stump.

I think peat in the soil must be important. I know that the original soil didn't have any and the soil I bought from B&Q to replace the original soil has no peat, either. It's very poor quality, seems to be full of 'twiggy' bits. I doubt if the canariensis likes it. By the way, I bought my canariensis from B&Q, too!!

I think I will buy a better soil which contains a good amount of peat.

About the brown spots, do you think they may be due to spider mite? My canariensis seemed free of any maggots or any insects when I bought it but I placed it on a window sill for a week where geraniums grow happily and that's when the problems started. First the corners of the leaves were drying up. Then I noticed tiny little black insects jumping about on and off the canariensis. I did a google search and it came up with how pesty spider mites are. They chew at the leaves and cause discolourations and have no problems with insecticides. Only their natural predators can get rid of them.

So I sprayed some ant killing powder onto the canariensis hoping that it hasn't been tried and hoping that it will get rid of them.

I hope my post has helped someone. I think a change of soil for a more peat content one will be a step forward for my canariensis.

Thanks Gill ... can you give any advice about taking cuttings?

Shazia

I'm trying everything to keep my canariensis alive. I changed it's position to indoor away from sunlight. Is that bad? Can they survive with just room light?

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    14 years ago

Shazia, hello and just to clarify a couple of points....
    1/. I cut of the fronds/leaves NOT the roots! The roots were healthy, it was the palm fronds that died off. I wouldn't chop the roots off your plant, that would really be asking for more trouble!
    2/. You can't propagate any variety of palm from a leaf cutting as far as I'm aware so that is why your leaf died after you planted it. However, they (Ph. C's) do produce suckers when they reach a certain size and these can be used for propagation.

Although I still have my Ph. Dactylifera palm and grow several other types of palms, I still have no idea what was wrong with mine in the first place, or what can be the problem with yours, sorry.
    Could I suggest you hop on over to the GWeb 'Palms and Cycads' forum where I know from personal experience there are a lot of folks who will be able to help you out.
    Good luck, Gill.

Here is a link that might be useful: click here to go to the palm forum Shazia

• Ben Hatton
    13 years ago

Have just read your items re this palm. Have just bought one and want to know the correct soil type to use in the pot and what, if any fertilizer to use and how often. Also do you allow this palm to dry out before watering? From reading the blogs I can see not to use a too bigger pot to begin with 1 size up ? is this correct. Hope somebody can give me this info. Thanks

• jon andersen
    12 years ago

my 3 phoenix cans died in the last frost how do i get rid of the large root and trunk type base it has left behind thankyou

• Naju Tshabangu
    7 years ago

Hi please I need help I bought phoenix canariensis palm tree from my local shop. Before I purchase it it was green it has been 2 month now the leaves has changed in to yellow

• Michael Williams
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Had our Canary Date Palm for 4 years...still looks good. U.K climate.

Will be re-potting it this year, into a 50cm pot.

When i originally bought it from Homebase, it was about 2ft tall...put it straight into 15 inch pot,...first put a couple of inches of 10mm washed gravel in the bottom of the pot, for drainage. Then used topsoil 30%, compost 30%, and 40% sharp sand...with some 10mm gravel.

Watered it every other day after repotting, for about a fortnight. Not a big soaking...just enough to keep the soil damp, while the plant beds in.

Then after the first fortnight, just water once a week...again not a soaking.

This is all done in Spring/Summer.

Come November the plant comes inside, until about April.

It's 6ft tall now, and soon will be a struggle to bring it indoors for Winter.

The one thing i cannot emphasize enough is that drainage needs to be good.

Put extra holes in the bottom of the pot, and i even keep it off the ground with bricks the pot sits on.

During Winter indoors it barely gets watered...about 2 pints of water a fortnight.