SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
big_kid

Emperor Dragonflies on BBC1, 16th. December.

big_kid
19 years ago

Hi All,

In case you don't know, there is a 'Wildlife on One' about Emperor Dragonflies on BBC1, 16th. December at 7p.m.

I've always loved Dragonflies ever since I was kid and earlier this year I rescued one which I saw upside down on a busy road over in West Drayton where I was visiting an aquatic centre and another garden centre. It was a male Emperor and his legs were moving, so I braved the traffic and carefully picked him up with a piece of paper, so as not to harm his delicate wings. The grass verge is left to Mother Nature, so I put him on one of the tall grasses and knelt down beside him to see if he recovered. The passing cars must have thought I was a madwoman talking to the grass!! He sat there quietly and I gently stroked his back as I was talking to him. What a magical experience. He was probably in shock, but I like to think that he just knew that I was his friend and that I was there to help him! After a while I left him and he wasn't there when I walked back some time later. I hope he made it skywards and lived to visit some lucky person's pond.

Comments (5)

• alison_froglady
    19 years ago

Thanks. I will definately watch it. I love dragonflies as well but hardly ever get any near my pond.
    Alison

• chippewacat
    19 years ago

Missed it by 30 minutes!! They are fantastic creatures. We have some very large ones that seem very territorial, one would hover about 18 inches from my nose staring me down! Other times if I'm sitting by the pond they have landed on my knee or hand. You can really study them then and they are so beautiful. Check out the website for the British Dragonfly Society as they have lovely pictures.

Anyway BigKid, glad you rescued it!

• big_kid
    Original Author
    19 years ago

What a shame you missed it, chippewacat, it was a brilliant programme and a real eye-opener into the world of dragonflies & damselflies in general. Great photography, too. Maybe they'll repeat it one day!

• alison_froglady
    19 years ago

My hubby taped it for me and I have just watched it. I don't know if it has put me off them or not as they seem quite ferocious, but it is part of nature and how they all exist together works and has worked for generations. So I guess I will just look at them as I did before, as very beautiful creatures. The programme was brilliant and gave so much information and beautiful photography.
    Alison

• big_kid
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Amazing stuff, wasn't it?

I must admit that if I should ever find an Emperor nymph in my pond, I'm afraid I would be taking him on a little bike-ride to the large fishing lake in Gunnersbury Park quite near to where I live!

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH