Pump Keeps Clogging Up

Saswaa

Hi all,

The pump in my top pond keeps clogging up with detritus etc. Any ideas on how to stop this please.

Cheers

Steve

SaveComment11Like
Comments (11)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sean_McKinney

What pump is it?

Save    
fishmaduk

hi
steve.
if the pumps 0n the bottom,raise it as in the winter the pump shouldn,t be there it should be @ least halfway up due to warmth exchange of the water.

filteration of the pump may be a problem so again check this.

as sean says what sort of pump is it?.

it also may say maybe your pond needs clearing out due to the autunm leaves falling into it.

also count your fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

well a few ideas anyway.

-------------fishmaduk----------david---------------

Save    
dampflippers

Put it in a pair of tights as a pre filter....if it's just for a fall. Don't know if it would help if it is to a filter though.

Save    
Saswaa

Pump is a Bioforce 2500 raised above the floor. Late posting I know...oops. forgot I asked this Question.

Sorry all.

Save    
chris11

Steve I don't know this pump, is it solids handling? I think you need a pump that can pump the muck to your filter rather than try and strain it out in the pond and leave it there. Raising the pump off the bottom may help with the pump blocking but would defeat the whole point of having the pump on the bottom, removing the muck out of the pond to the filter.

Save    
AJC_1

I cant find that pump either, one other possibility to look at is the size of the pump flow in relation to the ammount of water in your pond, you need to pump half the volume of water per hour to get achive a good filtration, so if you have a pump that is to powerful it will suck up all the debris by drawing it off the bottom

Its a common problem for most pumps, blanket weed will drift towards the flow and even small amounts will clog a pump grid, no easy solution other cleaning the botton of the pond and trying the pump in another place, a real pain but sometimes the only thing that will work.

Also check the return to the pond from the filter that might be coming out fast enough to stir the bottom pushing debris towards the pump as well as the pump drawing it?

Save    
Saswaa

Right once again I`m incorrect. The pump is an Aquarius 2500.

Save    
AJC_1

Small pumps are worse then big ones for clogging I think, I bought a couple of those square pond baskets with the holes in, drilled a hole in one for cable and pipe and tied them together around the pump, stopped it from clogging up so quick, but that only buys a few weeks before it needs cleaning.

Save    
Sean_McKinney

I assume this is an Oase aquarius, if so put the entire pump is an large but well 'stamped' aquatic plant basket so that the basket acts as a strainer. By well stamped I mean the perforations are actually open and not flashed over.

Save    
awblessmesturgeon

good point alan - we have a solids handling pump - chops up the c**p and sends to filter but every know aad again the pump basket needs a clean! and thats a 12000 ltr one jo o/

Save    
Davidfield

Put your pump in a plastic bucket and lower into the water. The water inflow will only take water from the top of the water and not the grunge in the bottom of the pond. It has worked fine for me.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Decorating Guides Houzz Tour: Couple Pares Down and Pumps Up the Style
A big transition from a large suburban house to a 1,200-square-foot urban condo is eased by good design
Full Story
More Rooms 12 Colors to Pump Up Your Home Gym
Peeling gray walls not inspiring your workouts? Exercise your right to a motivating space with these stylish paint picks
Full Story
More Rooms Hip Home Gyms Get Hearts Pumping
Has your workout plan hit a plateau? Snap back into gear with these stylish home exercise rooms
Full Story
High quality workmanship combined with affordable prices is our motto. Our Company has been serving the greater... Read More