SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dampflippers

Froglet perils

dampflippers
16 years ago

Yesterday I was gutted to find a dead tiny baby frog in mu bird water dish near the pond. It had obviously been unable to get out. So now I have put a garden ornament in to climb out on in future.

A couple of days ago I had to trim back overhanging vegetation round the pond (elderly M in L visiting, so I had to make pathways easy to walk along), and that night found a couple of babies sticking to the paving slabs. I washed them off, and have now put some dead waterlily leaves to shade the slab they were on. A few years ago I applied G4 to seal the slabs, but it looks as though it may have worn off now :o(

Good news though, I'm seeing more "teenage" frogs from last year this year.

Comment (1)

• AJC_1
    16 years ago

We happened to be in the garden when the first wave of little forgs left the pond, they had to cross slabs to get to the bottom of the garden, we noticed several stick to the slabs, so we hosed the slabs down every 20 mins or so, only thing is this year seemed to be a bumper for young frogs there was thousands of them, and then second wave was just as bad, we wasnt out then so we found quite a few perished in the sun stuck to a slab :(

Strange you finding one in ya birdbath, I have noticed that the young ones stay away from water for a few years after they leave it, never seen one near the pond once it left, or a puddle for that matter, untill they about 30mm long that is.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations