New Pond

Glendale62

My raised pond here in Portugal, is relatively new but the plants I put in keep dying and last night one of four fish died.the pond is a good size and I use well water, not tap water. The pond has sun in the afternoon but not in the morning. I have put in water lilies, various floating plants ( the duckweed turned white and died!), an oxygenator twice which has rotted and died, three water lilies - the leaves turned brown and rotted - now only one has any leaves and in fact the only plants which are thriving are two papyrus on the margins. I think, all in all, 10 out of 14 plants have died! I don't have a pump yet one is on the way from UK - but if that doesn't work I think I'm going to give up as I can't just keep throwing money away on it. I have also tried a water change. Nearby on the other side of the wall is bay leaf tree -could that be the problem? The roots can't get in to the pond though and I regularly remove any leaves etc. getting desperate after 12 weeks....

SaveComment3Like
Comments (3)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
big_kid

Hi,

What rotten luck you're having and I really sympathise.

Unfortunately the people who had most knowledge no longer visit this site and I'm limited in my own knowledge. One thing I can say is I have a bay tree very near my own pond and leaves do find their way in from time to time, but haven't done any harm to any of the plants, fish, frogs and newts. Obviously I clear them out if I see them, but the odd one or two might be in the pond unnoticed for a while, as I have a lot of plants in there.

My pond is roughly 8ft x 9ft and I don't have a pump or filter. I keep the water clear with 2 bags of barley straw which I leave in for 6 months but, after 3 months, I add another 2 bags. ( I keep a note of the dates and date the bags with initials, so I know how old they are!)

You mention the well water. Do you think there might be a possibility that the well water could contain some sort of mineral or something else that is causing harm? I know you've already tried a water change but maybe you could try tap water instead? The only problem I ever had was when my pond was quite new and someone near me had a company in to deal with a rat problem and a dying rat fell in my pond and died. This killed the two fish I had at the time and I had to change my water. I presume it was the poison in its urine that did the damage.

Sorry I can't be of any more help. Let us know how you get on.

Best of luck,
Big Kid

Save    
Min3 South S.F. Bay CA

I think you haven't given it enough time and experimented enough. It takes a while to find a good balance in any pond. Check out the Garden Web pond forums for more help and good luck! Min

Save    
Min3 South S.F. Bay CA

Arrrgh i just looked at the date of your post above. If you are still here I would love to know if you ended up with a lovely pond. Min

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Pools How to Make a Pond
You can make an outdoor fish paradise of your own, for less than you might think. But you'll need this expert design wisdom
Full Story
Architecture Houzz Tour: A Pond House in the Arizona Desert
With water in the back and a descent to get in, this skillfully designed modern home keeps its cool in the Southwestern sun
Full Story
Houzz Tours Houzz Tour: Rustic Cabin With Dive-In Pond
Set on 22 acres and with as many modern comforts as rugged trails, this Montana home is an outdoor lover's paradise
Full Story
We specialize in house painting in Loudoun and Fairfax counties, both exterior and interior. As exceptional house... Read More