SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
saswaa

Concerned of Accrington.

Saswaa
18 years ago

Hi all,

Here is a daft one for experienced ponders. Over the last few days my three koi and one of my bigger carrots (goldfish) have been hanging around a particular shallow area of my pond, behind two of my planters and they stay there for hours huddled up. Chagoi has a little red mark just above his pectoral fin that looks like a sore. However, I feel it could be from "cleaning off" prior to spawning but i`m not sure. My other goldfish, comets etc are all under the waterfall and marigold leaves, huddled up in the same way as my koi.

They all seem active when disturbed and my koi are all moving their fins etc and occaisionally swimming around like nutters. I have also seen my goldies jumping quite a lot. The koi also put on a little routine from time to time but are more reserved about acrobatics. My nitrite/ates, oxygen levels and pH levels are perfectly fine and aren`t fluctuating at all. So here is the question?, are my fish spawning or breeding or what??? Please help me as I don`t want to wake up to a pond full of floaters. If this was a question about a lodge or lake i would know that the fish were simply breeding and it would be nothing to be concerned about.

Yours

Steve

Comments (9)

• Linda_Clive
    18 years ago

I wonder if they have been scared - perhaps a heron?

• AJC_1
    18 years ago

That does sound like they have been frightend as Linda says, and a split fin or wound like a sore `can result if they bash somthing in thier flight, keep a very close eye on that sore steve, at this time of year it can get worse quickly, if it dosent look better in a few days then treat it yourself, wounds on a petcal are difficult to heal because they are always in motion, so a bit more time is needed.

• Saswaa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you very very much. The fish all seem happy today but are still huddled. A heron was spotted yesterday so this could be so.

• awblessmesturgeon
    18 years ago

any change steve? jo o/

• Saswaa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

No changes at all. The fish all seem to be in hiding and only come out for food as and when they wish. The heron has not been sighted since Sunday, and if I am totally honest, I doubt it is the culprit. My pond is only small and probably cannot be seen from above due to the tree overhanging it. The nature pond is at the bottom of the garden but it is too small by far for a heron to attack.

Could the fish be spawning??

Steve

• tony_glos
    18 years ago

We had a visit from a heron last year and the fish were very timid for a long time afterwards.

Our pond is not very big but I think herons have very good eyesight.

• awblessmesturgeon
    18 years ago

when our goldies spawned (when we had goldies) it was quite a "boysterous" affair, lots of chasing, splashing, jockying for position. from what i've heard koi behave in a similar fashion only the splashes are bigger! i've heard of fish being injured in the spawning melee so it doesnt sound like thats your solution. if all params are spot on all you can do is watch (carefully) and wait i guess? ours went a bit timid recently with the thunderstorms we had but soon returned to normal. no flicking/flashing going on?
    regards jo o/

• AJC_1
    18 years ago

Yes Jo it is exactly the same only wilder as you say, koi can and do get a bit batterd during spwaning, some get damaged too.

Steve dont think for one minute that a tree will stop a heron seeing your pond, they can see water and fish even in the dark!

• Saswaa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for info folks. They were a little bit mental last week, flashing and following each other around. Then they all went quiet.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor