Green water / Blanket Weed

3148markc

Just wanting to know what people use to help clear there Blanket Weed / Green Water in their ponds over the summer and if they add anything do you do it before any outbreak or after ?

Have you found using an overrated UV filter cures all problems and you never have to add any additives ?

Mark

SaveComment1Like
Comments (1)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
big_kid

Hi Mark,

My pond is roughly 9ft x 8 ft. and I don't have a pump or a filter. It has goldfish, frogs and newts.

I use barley straw to help keep down blanket weed. You should carry on using it all year round and it'll take a little time to kick in ititially, but you must then keep it going or you'll have to start from scratch again. The instructions tell you when to replace it, but I do it more often and leave the old one in for 6 months to carry on working. It's when the straw is breaking down that it starts working.

I initially bought two pouches which come in mesh bags, but I also now use the green mesh bags that oxygenating plants sometimes come in and fill them up with barley straw from a sack bought in a pet shop, which is much cheaper. I use corks (good excuse for a bottle of wine!) so that I can fish the bags out later, rather than have them disappearing to the bottom, never to be seen again. I shove mine under plants I have on the surface around the pond because the straw can look a bit unsightly till it starts to sink when it's breaking down. Make a note of the date you last added a new pack on your sack, then you'll be reminded when to add another one.

Regarding green water, barley straw should also help with that. When I first built my pond a number of years ago, I used to think the water would never clear in spring, but I rapidly realised that all ponds 'cycle' at that time of year and mine clears itself over a few weeks. It's a natural process. How big is your pond?

Don't know if any other members have any more information for you, but hope this helps.
Big Kid

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides 5 Weed-Smothering Ground Covers
Let these landscape plants do the dirty work of choking out weeds while you sit back and enjoy the view
Full Story
Gardening Guides Let's Weed Out 4 Native Plant Myths
Plant wisely for a garden that supports pollinators and requires less work
Full Story
Gardening Guides 5 Ways to Naturally Win the Weed War
Show irksome weeds no mercy with these tricks for combating them sans chemicals
Full Story
Nova Installations Inc. Chantilly, VA specializes in exterior home improvements, such as replacement windows and... Read More
High quality workmanship combined with affordable prices is our motto. Our Company has been serving the greater... Read More