SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
big_kid

Hubert Duprat caddis fly sculptures

big_kid
12 years ago

I know I mentioned this years ago, but for anyone who's never heard about this guy, I suggest you Google Hubert Duprat and then click on Hubert Duprat caddisfly to see not only stills, but also a couple of great YouTube videos of caddisflies creating the 'sculptures.' Fascinating. If you click on Hubert Duprat Artist, there's a video of him explaining how he creates his sculptures and about half way along, he's talking about his caddisfly sculptures. I wish I could watch them being created!

Big Kid

Comments (9)

• dampflippers
    12 years ago

Is this it? It's amazing!

Here is a link that might be useful: Caddis fly youtube using gold and pearls

• big_kid
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This is one of the videos, yes. Isn't it brilliant! The best one is in the five minute YouTube video where the artist describes his work in general and it shows a caddis fly larva working its magic with gold pieces, turquoise and pearls. Stunning.

It's best to Google his name because it then comes up with various sites with stills of some of the sculptures,which are beautiful. What's so amazing is the way the larvae choose the jewels to match, almost like a jeweller would.

Google Hubert Duprat Artist and the five minute video is on YouTube.

How do you put in a link? I'm using Firefox to write this and I tried opening Internet Explorer to see if I could drag and drop a link or copy/paste one, but it doesn't work. Firefox lets you drag and drop into e-mail, but Internet Explorer doesn't. Answers on a postcard, please!
    Big Kid

• dampflippers
    12 years ago

When you write your reply, you will see a box below saying Optional link URL. Copy and paste the url here inc http etc.
    Write a descrition or name or video etc in Name of the link.

• big_kid
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Dampflippers. Testing, one, two!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hubert Duprat talking about work, including Caddis fly sculptures

• big_kid
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thought I'd tried copy/pasting, but I obviously didn't do it right.

Here's a site with great stills.
    Big Kid

Here is a link that might be useful: Caddis Fly sculpture stills

• big_kid
    Original Author
    12 years ago

And another!

I discovered this guy some years ago when I found what I thought was some sort of aquatic insect apparently trapped inside what looked like a small twig. It was when I first made my pond and I had no idea what I was looking at. I had been watching the creature and thought it was struggling to get out of its prison!! It was sorely tempting at the time to help out Mother Nature but, thankfully, I decided to leave well alone.

I can't remember how I found out it was a Caddis fly larva - I presume I described it to the knowledgeable people on this site and came up with the answer, which I then Googled and discovered Hubert Duprat. Brilliant.
    Big Kid

• big_kid
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Whoops! Link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Great site for Caddis fly scupture stills etc.

• chippewacat
    12 years ago

I remember this when you posted it before, and have shown it to several people, including the people in DRAG (Devon Reptile and Amphibian Society). When they surveyed the pond they did find some tiny caddis fly larvae as well as other things!

I keep wondering though, does the caddis fly get a cut from the money Duprat makes?

Chip

• big_kid
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Deserves a 50%-50% split at least.

Big Kid.

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals