SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pkingham_gw

Taddies, flies, scum & photos

PKingham
18 years ago

HI Guys,

Thought I would show a few pics of my pond, it's possitivley blooming at the moment. Lilly is growing nicely, water is clear with algae on the sides but no blanket weed (thankfully).

Here's a snap:

{{gwi:2117074}}

I have a few questions though, and I wonder if I can have your opinions.

1)I long for frogs and newts, but I have taddies, *toad* tadpoles by the million, I mean I have A LOT! This fish do not seem at all bothered, but I am wondering if it's healthy for the pond, and also does it mean I can expect an even bigger harvest next year? Should I cull them?

{{gwi:2117075}}{{gwi:2117076}}
I think I have at least 2 for every square inch of surface not counting the ones swimming.

2)My bio filter is a mossie trap! I am guessing they fly up the 'water out' pipe, spawn (or whatever mossies do) and then die as they can't get out. It's dark in the box so I guess they can't find the way out. The problem is that there are 3 layers of filter foam before a layer of that boken pipe stuff, there is no where for them to go, the water is filtered from the bottom. so at the top I have a layer of water from the pump, with larvae and dead flies. I don't want my garden to be a mossie farm for the summer.

2 photo's one of the filter with the lid off close up, and one winder with the pipes.

{{gwi:2117077}}{{gwi:2117078}}

SO taddies and mossies, what would you do?

Many thanks

Paul

Comments (8)

Sponsored