SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anyanka_gw

Newt wrestling

anyanka
19 years ago

My pond is teeming with newts - whenever I look, I can see at least a dozen without trying to hard, which probably means that the actual newt population is at least twice that much. Just a moment ago, three newts were locked together wrestling - at first we thought two newts were feeding on the third, but it then became apparent (after removing some blanket weed...) that all three had latched onto a dead worm.

Once again, the pond provides more excitement and entertainment than the television.

Here are a couple of pictures of one of 'my' newts. I had to use a polarising filter, hence the lack of contrast. This newt came up to the surface near me and posed... very considerate.

{{gwi:2116944}}

{{gwi:2116945}}

Comments (5)

• Sean_McKinney
    19 years ago

I'm jealous, do you know what species you have?

• chippewacat
    19 years ago

Super newts! I have about 6 in my pond this year so the population is gradually increasing. I know there are great crested ones about a mile away, so I keep hoping! Mine are just the everyday common smooth newt, and very beautiful they are too. I just wish they were more obvious in the daytime!

• Kazzie
    19 years ago

Not fair... not fair!!! I lost all my newts when the old pond got filled in.

• alison_froglady
    19 years ago

I haven't seen mine for a long time either.
    Alison

• anyanka
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I think they're just common newts - they're quite small. Some are dark, some lighter and spotted; usually with white bellies and some orange on the underside of the tail.
    I love them madly! They just arrived in the pond, not long after we'd filled it for the first time.
    We've also got toadpoles now. They hatched a couple of days ago. I hope lots of them survive and take care of the slug plague!

Sponsored