SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tonyw_gw

Problem Area with Environmental Weeds

tonyw
18 years ago

Two years ago I purchased a property in SydneyÂs southern suburbs that borders bushland. Part of my dream was to create a native garden in harmony with the local environment, a dream well on its way to fulfilment. However the property is very steep and one section approximately 140m sq is at the top of a cliff and has been untouched for over 20 years and is now overrun with environmental weeds such as fishbone fern, mother of millions and asparagus fern (the usual nasties).
I want to remove the weeds and non-indigenous plants and replace them with local plant varieties and selected tropical grevilleas (for their fast growth habit and for the bird life). Step one is to remove the weeds. I have inspected the area and hand weeding is out of the question because of the terrain, which leads me to believe that spraying glyphosate as the only viable option,.
Are there any other options? This looks like a big job as the area is very rocky and there is a lot of what my fire brigade friends describe as "fuel" tangled in with the fishbone fern and I would appreciate anybodies experiences that might help me along the way. Thanks.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus