SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jan_515

Olive looking sad

jan_515
19 years ago

I have an Olive tree in a tub which is about 50 cms tall and in a sheltered spot in my garden. It looks very sad at the moment with the leaves at the ends of the branches looking very pale green/yellow. I have watered it once or twice over the winter when it seemed too dry. Is this normal or is there something else I should be doing? I had intended to move it to a bigger tub in a month or so.

Comments (22)

• Peter60
    19 years ago

I have never attempted to grow one outdoors having always lived in the midlands and the north but I suspect that a Mediterranean species might find our climate a tad unsatisfactory.
    Hope someone can be more positive.

My Website

• Old_Hazza
    19 years ago

A guess, but it is possible that you have overwatered it. They cannot tolerate wet conditions. They thrive on an annual rainfall of as little as 8" a year - and with high evaporation. Irrigation is common of course, but only in the summer. I presently use overhead sprays on an old grove, and our new one to be planted late this year will have drippers, but it is not essential to keep the trees alive. I would be inclined not to water at all in the winter unless it receives no natural rainfall. Temperatures down to about minus 8 should be OK (we have had a number of minus 5s and three nights at minus 6 this winter) but below that could cause damage. Old McDonald.

• Suiko
    19 years ago

Yep. Let it get as dry as possible. Never water in winter. I have one in Oxford and it's fine.

• jlcerisette4793
    19 years ago

Hi,
    Agree with Suiko, do not water during winter months. Maybe we are lucky with our climate in Surrey, but my brother has an Olive tree in a container, and it has survived outside for a few years.. I bought mine last year, potted into a container,left it outside all these months and it has really good new growth. I feed it during growing season with Seaweed Liquid, and now am doing so again. I will also trim it soon as that should make it stronger.Do the same with my Bay tree, if anyone is interested.

• Old_Hazza
    19 years ago

Idle curiosity. How much is an olive tree from a garden centre in the UK?

I would offer some caution/explanation about water in the winter. In the natural state (in I think all, but at least most of the olive growing areas) the trees receive rainfall in the winter, and summers are dry. Therefore the trees should receive some natural rainfall in winter and not purposely be kept dry. However, as I originally said, they should not need watering in addition. Britain's summers will obviate the need for summer irrigation! Old McDonald.

• Suiko
    19 years ago

Yeah, can't say I've ever watered mine much. Tho it should be remembered that in the Med they can send their roots a long way down in search of water, which they can't do in a pot.

It does look sad sometimes, but then who wouldn't?

• alcina
    19 years ago

I bought mine from Trees Direct and it cost £15. It's in a terracotta pot on my patio (which gets HOT in the summer). I don't water it over the winter, but I do water it in the summer - it can dry out in a day when the sun shines! This will be its third summer with me. Last year it had flowers and bore fruit...albeit small olives :) I've not fed it since I bought it until last week when I top dressed it with bone meal. It's looking very happy I think!

Alcina

• anyanka
    19 years ago

I bought a small olive tree from a local garden centre for a fiver. It was special offer though. Normal price is from £12 upwards. - Just read all the advice on here with interest and gratitude!
    I overwintered the treelet in my greenhouse - is that not necessary then?

• Old_Hazza
    19 years ago

Anyanka, if I paid a fiver for something I would look after it, and probably keep it in the greenhouse for a couple more winters "just in case" there is a bad frost. Old McDonald.

• alcina
    19 years ago

So long as it's reasonably sheltered it's not necessary to overwinter them in a greenhouse. But if you'd rather be safe, then it won't come to any harm - but you will need to water it if it's indoors. They're quite tough plants!

Alcina

• peterkins
    19 years ago

Hi everyone, I have just read a report in a local paper that told of one hundred year old olive trees bulldozed from Palistinian land for "security" reasons ending up as center pieces in Israeli villa gardens! How they got through the borders wasn't explained nor how such crazy prices are asked for what are in fact are stolen goods. Peter

• Suiko
    19 years ago

Well, the rich are always willing to rip off the poor, the world over, no?

• lindyblu_fingers
    18 years ago

I have just receive a standard olive tree as a present. The only info that came was that it should be kept cool and frost free! Its in quite a small pot, do you think I should put it in a bigger one? Its on a sunny patio at present. as I dont have a greenhouse should I bring it in the house for the winter?

• User
    18 years ago

also heard that there is a real problem with old olives being dug up in Italy - moves are being made to stop the despoiliation of a great horticultural inheritance as plants are being sold for up to £12,000.
    In fact, I have just bought one for a client for £300 for a 3.5m high olive. Blimey!!

• lindsey_2006
    17 years ago

My olive tree has been brought indoors for the winter but has just started to lose its leaves, any advice please.

• Wendy Bristol UK
    17 years ago

I have recently been given an olive tree in a small container. I plan to keep it indoors in my utility room over winter. It has started to lose it's leaves so I watered it but this hasn't stopped the leaves from falling. Can anyone advise me how I should best look after my olive tree until next summer when I plan to place it on my garden patio.

• pineresin
    17 years ago

Probably watering it too much, and causing root rot, resulting in a dead plant which drops its leaves. They should be kept almost completely bone-dry when not in active growth.

Resin

• trish-germany
    17 years ago

My olive tree is about 6 years old, has flowered for the past 3 years and last year during the very hot summer we had here in Germany, actually had full size ripe fruit. Just three of them - I'm not going into oil production yet. It's in a large pot and kept dry in an unheated conservatory for the winter. During a recent visit to Italy, I saw how they should be pruned. Basically keeping the centre free and thinning the shoots.
    It's dropping leaves at the moment, but I'm not too concerned. Even if it doesn't fruit, it's still a lovely thing to have.
    Trish

• o12la10
    15 years ago

My olive tree developed some spots on its leaves further developing holes...any idea what it may be...bit worried...?

• zeigfield
    14 years ago

Regarding my olive tree looking sad, A big thanks to all who posted a message, very helpfull. problem solved too much watering during the winter, will be more carefull next time Thanks Zeigfield

• hoddy
    13 years ago

I have an olive tree which is about 3 years old. It was previously quite sheltered, but i removed the bushes behind it during the winter and now all the leaves have gone, the whole tree is covered in what looks like green mould. Can it be saved or is it dead. There is no sign of growth yet.

• valerie mitchell
    13 years ago

hi my olive tree is very sad think i mite have killed them i have had them for about 9 years or more they use to have fruit all year round but this year i got mad as keep catchinh my washing on so i cut back a lot of the both trees but now they dont seem to grow anymore just dryed up i miss my trees is there anythink i can do or have i lost them for good

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor