SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rochester_ron

Frogspawn in production

rochester_ron
15 years ago

Free to good pond keepers :-)

Please feel free to contact me.

As I am aware at the present, the only problem with the transportation of this type of goods is you should bring a bag/bowl big enough for them to be moved in.

Comments (5)

• dampflippers
    15 years ago

Hi Ron,
    A few years ago Froglife used to recommend that if frogspawn was being moved between pond that it was only done within the same postcode area.
    Now they recommend that spawn is not transferred from pond to pond at all.
    This is to reduce the risk of spreading diseases like Red Leg disease or the Chytrid virus, or transferring invasive plants like Azolla (fairymoss) or Crassula (swamp stonecrop).
    http://froglife.org

Here is a link that might be useful: froglife pdf

• big_kid
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info, Damp. Very interesting, but I still like to separate a few blobs of frogspawn to give them a fighting chance. I don't have loads of frogs, so I think I'm only helping out Mother Nature at the moment. Well, that's my excuse anyway!

The frogspawn in my pedal binliner has all hatched out and the tiny babies are breaking through the gel, but the stuff left in the pond is still in egg form.

Chip, if you're reading this, have a look at Damp's Froglife info because it says that frogspawn is black and is paler underneath. The spawn of mine that you thought would be infertile, actually isn't. All of them have hatched!
    Big Kid

• dampflippers
    15 years ago

I redistrubute mine between my ponds and put a little in some tubs.
    Froglife mean don't out it into someone else's pond.

• chippewacat
    15 years ago

That is great--glad to hear they have all hatched! I guess it is when they turn totally white that is not good news. Froglife is an excellent site.

They are determined little creatures aren't they!

The ones indoors are now eating me out of house and lettuce! Won't be long before they have legs.

The first outdoor clump is looking ready to hatch.

now just looking out for that snake....

Chip!

• William Farrell
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Hi Ron,

We now have a new but well established pond in Rochester Kent. Will you have any frogspawn we could have that would help us start our frog population?

Many thanks,

Will

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms