SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fishmaduk

ufo in essex ???????????????.

fishmaduk
18 years ago

hi

all.

every day i have to walk past my pond in the garden but there is something strange going on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????.

so i see my pond every day but some nights i will go to work and the pond level will be ok BUT sometime when i come home in the morning the pond has lost 4-5 inches of water.

u have a leak i hear u cry ya no i have three ponds and they all do the same.

not every night not every week and i have monitored this over a long period and its not due to the weather or season.

sometimes twice or three time a week sometime only and so on?.

if anyone has the problem pray tell.

----------David --------------------fishmaduk--------------

p.s if anyone is worreid about the on coming hose pipe ban do ask your water supplier and they will tell u that you pond is classed as life stock and filling your pond is ok.

im under three valleys water (OTHER WATER SUPPLIERS ARE AVAILIBLE) and thats there policy.

but please ask them.

Comments (9)

• chippewacat
    18 years ago

Hmmm

I understand elephants drink quite a bit in one go, is there a zoo nearby missing any?

You could tell from the footprints...

• big_kid
    18 years ago

If it starts filling itself up again, then I really would be getting worried!!

Thanks so much for the info regarding the hosepipe ban and ponds. I'm Thames Water, so I'll give them a ring and ask. My pond is 9'x8' approx, so the thought of topping it up again by bucket, fills me with horror. I also have a real problem with overhanging branches from 50/60 ft. Lime trees from the garden at the back of me. This has caused problems with my pond water because of the honeydew that comes down and I've had to do a couple of major water changes, which is a monstrous task, even with a hosepipe to refill with. I spent a futile few months being lied to by an estate agent (what else is new!) dealing with the rental of the place while the owners live in Australia, so the pruning I'd hoped for hasn't happened. I'm sure it would cost hundreds to employ someone myself. My thanks to Sean for telling me about the telescopic pruners. I just bought a Spear & Jackson one which is great, but I still won't be able to reach the branches that are the main problem.
    Big Kid

• petmas
    18 years ago

You are allowed to fill fish ponds but when/if the drought orders are implemented you cannot use fountains but will still be able to fill fish but not decorative ponds. I had the same problem of water loss and noticed that it is the wind, not only drying it but pushing the water across and over the downwind edge-pond is about3m square. Pete

• dampflippers
    18 years ago

Is it possible that a dog or fox gets in your garden and has a bath or swim? This would displace water.
    Can people get in your garden?
    Do you have a fountain or waterfall running? In windy conditions it could lose quite alot of water.

• fishmaduk
    Original Author
    18 years ago

hi
    all.
    my garden has cctv and i have looked back on the footage nothing has been near the pond only cats.

but the design doesn,t allow them to get near the water.

i have checked the filter system which has no leaks.

the wind can,t be the course due to the design.

but this water loss is on all 3 ponds not just 1.

so im @ a loss for the reason.

very thursty fish or blanket weed but what goes in must come out.

-----------david-----------fishmaduk--------------------

• dampflippers
    18 years ago

What sort of liners do you have? concrete, rigid plastic or pvc/butyl type?
    If it goes down, and you don't top it up, does it go down further or stay the same?
    Are any of the ponds linked in any way?

• fishmaduk
    Original Author
    18 years ago

hi
    all.
    1 has pvc/1 butyl/and 1 fibreglass.

i will re-line 1 in the summer so will give that a go.

----------david-------------fishmaduk----------------------

• jaci_49
    18 years ago

My pond has a small waterfall and sandstone rocks around the edges, if it's windy and sunny, it loses an amazing amount of water. I thought it was leaking last year (its first year) but as the year went on I realised it was just loss from the stones acting as sponges and the wind causing evaporation to speed up! Fortunately we don't have a hose-pipe ban in Fife.

• alison_froglady
    18 years ago

I would also say it is the wind. We had a few really windy days last week and I lost a good 3-4 inches from the pond. This is mainly lost from the waterfall I would reckon. I have seen the water getting blown out across the garden.
    With all your ponds doing the same, It stands to reason it has to be something that will affect everything. The wind will certainly do that.
    Alison

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery