SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ukyankee

What about this two year-old pond of mine?

UKyankee
19 years ago

Greetings everyone! I'm new to the forum, and have been reading and getting some good information here. I have a couple of questions (okay, several), and am wondering what to expect this year from my two year old pond. Here's the scoop:

Lots of trouble last year with green water. I bought a treatment from the local pond and garden place, and while it did clear the green water within a few days, the result was only temporary. By mid-summer the water was as green as ever, and the treatment really affected some of the plants. The water iris didn't bloom at all last year, and lots of the leaves turned yellow. Had I really thought this through, I'd have realized that anything that will kill off algae (like acid, which is what this treatment basically was) is likely to affect the aquatic plants. The bottle said "safe for fish and plants", but... Well, perhaps they meant that fish and plants would just suffer a lot, but wouldn't actually die. Anyway, I came to terms with the green water (it is loaded with life, after all, and fun to look at under a microscope) and decided that I would Never Tamper With Nature Again. Now it's one year on, and what do you know, the aquatic plants are doing their job, and the water is pretty clear!

So that was last year. This year, over the past few months, I've noticed the string algae (blanket weed?)seems to be really taking off. It wasn't a problem at all last year, just a couple of small clumps near the irises. Nothing I couldn't handle with the old twirly stick routine. This year, however, as the oxygenating plants have really spread out near the center of the pond, the string algea has been keeping pace with it, forming a thick, green mat through the plants, and even clinging to the sides of the pond liner. Sadly, this is where the frogs decided to spawn this year.

Right before the last cold snap, the tads made their appearance. I could see they were way too close to the surface of the water, and the blanket weed was keeping them right where they'd been layed. I thought about trying to scoop some of them up, and plonk them into the shallows, where they'd be warmer, and then remembered that I had promised myself that I would Never Tamper With Nature Again. So I let them stay where they were, and of course the cold snap killed about 97% of the little guys. Okay, it was bad enough to lose all the future frogs, but the MESS they left behind in the pond really added insult to injury. Millions of little comma-shaped corpses, and the floaty egg sac stuff, all mixed in with blanket weed, and a winter's detritus - I'm not squeemish, but YUCK! I've cleared some of the blanket weed out today, but there's just so much of it, and no matter how careful I am, I wind up taking out some of the good aquatic plants with it. Heck, I even twirly-sticked a newt in with the string algae this morning! Poor little guy didn't seem any the worse for it, thankfully.

So where I go from here depends on your advice. ...

Comments (15)

Sponsored