SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raymondo_gw

Variety register ... an idea.

18 years ago

For some time now I've been wondering whether it would be possible to start a 'national' seed bank, along the lines of Canada's Seeds of Diversity and Plant and Seed Sanctuary, or the Henry Doubleday Heritage Seed library in the UK. The US has the Seed Savers Exchange, a huge operation, but then it's the US. Both Canada and the US have national, government funded seed banks.

Australia has no real equivalent. A few government areas fund seed banks for important commercial crops (wheat etc) but nothing on the scale of either Canada or the US. There was the Heritage Seed Curators group, sadly now defunct, and of course there's the Seed Savers Network at Byron Bay. The SSN isn't really a seed bank, more of a seed distributor and even that activity looks like being wound back as they remodel themselves.

Setting up a seed bank is a huge task and probably very costly. If it got enough momentum I'm sure the government could be embarrased into at least partially funding it. I think, though, that given my health predicament, it probably wouldn't be a good idea to embark on such a consuming venture.

Then I had an idea, an almost novel experience these days. Why not an internet based 'register' of varieties - a kind of who grows what where, kept anonymous of course, and who is able and/or willing to distribute a few seeds. I envisage something like a distributed seed bank and exchange mechanism. Not sure how this would hang together yet but I think it's in the realm of possibilty. A distributed seed bank already exists in a sense. The various seed savers groups around the country and individual gardeners that grow and maintain varieties of this and that. There isn't, however, a central, accessible, searchable register.

I repeat that it would have to remain anonymous, rather like we can here at GWeb by submitting our email addresses but hiding them from view. GWeb sends on the email and then it's up to the individuals involved.

We have the GWeb exchange of course, but that's not really searchable. You can't for instance look at every tomato seed offer, not easily at any rate and certainly not all on one page.

I don't know. Am I mad? It saddens me to think that lots and lots of great old varieties of yummy food is slowly getting lost.

Comments anyone?

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County