SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
the_grub

Dill Dunce

The_Grub
18 years ago

Please help me grow this fickle herb.

On Friday nights our treat is smoked salmon on pumpernickel spread with cream cheese w/ washed salted capers and quarters of lemon flesh. And finally topped with fronds of dill. Oh, and champagne.

But alas this dill is driving me, well, mad. I know it doesn't like wet feet and I've tried to ensure that, but any other ideas for growing this herb are welcome.

Second year, in a pot, bit of soluable fert'. And wilting yellow fronds. Life expectancy is about two months in my patch.

Xmas Wishes, Grub :)

Comments (20)

• finbar
    18 years ago

Beats me. I could never make a go of it. They say it's one of the easiest herbs to grow. Used to bolt if I looked sideways at it. Story of my life, pretty much.

• Spatzbear
    18 years ago

Hmmm...Grub, have you got a teeny little corner in your garden that is slightly neglected, sunny, has poor soil and you only get to it once in a blue moon? Bung it in there.

Or grow perennial Bronze Fennel. I know, slightly different from Dill but even easier to grow. Goes totally berserk with some neglect. :)

• Raymondo
    18 years ago

I'm with Spatz. Neglect is what's called for, and poor soil. Use to drive me nuts in Woy Woy coming up everywhere. Soil was almost pure sand.

• The_Grub
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Righto then. It's getting way too much attention. I've just the spot to try it next. Thanks.

• ozmantis
    18 years ago

Never grown it. I am a big enough dill already.

• The_Grub
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Put some in ASAP and add it chopped to a warm potato salad with some crispy bacon and freshly milled black pepper. I think it would like your climate,

• ozmantis
    18 years ago

OK. I'll try some in the middle bed that is sandy. Why not, this bed has just about everything else in it :-)

The thought of the warm potato salad got me.

• ozmantis
    18 years ago

Been buying Nicola poatoes lately. These are yummy just boiled whole with skins on. Lovely yellow flesh.

They should make a kick a$$ warm potato salad eh.

Trying to grow some in a largish pot.

• The_Grub
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Free-range chicken, warm potato salad with dill, something green and leafy with balsamic and olive-oil dressing. Some crusty bread and butter. A summer white wine of your choosing. A table in the shade. Even Horsham in summer would shine.

The Nicola sound great. Haven't had them for yonks. Now I'm thinking spuds... a great big long-cooked jacket spud with sour cream and chives. You have chives, haven't you? Even I can grow them. I think it was Ray who pointed me in the direction of a bit of lime to help your onion things.

A decent onion crop of rare and beautiful species, seeds acquired via this kind site, will follow my tomatoes. Which are being rained on today. A sure trigger for grubs in days to come.

• ozmantis
    18 years ago

Chives we have, and spring onions growing wild all over the place.

Did a free range chook in the new barbie the other night and it was a winner. Rubbed it inside and out with fresh ground pepper and salt, and left it covered in the fridge for half a day.
    Come time to cook I did a naked chef thing of par boiling the spuds, to be roasted, and cut up to golf ball size with a whole lemon. When done, pull out the lemon and peirce a few holes in it and shove it in the chook. Olive oil all over the bird then into the barbie.
    Chook came out very juicy and lemony and the spuds were crisp and yummy. A winner with all here.
    This new 6 burner barbie rocks, but I need a lot more practice with it before the xmas turkey goes in it.

• The_Grub
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Six-burner barbie! Wow. You got the apron to do with that? And does it have a drinkholder? Sounds great. Rotisserie? Chook sounds bewwwdiful. The Isabrowns must have been nervous ;)

• ozmantis
    18 years ago

Yeah the barbie is a ripper. The old 4 burner fell to bits after many years and a lot of work.
    Not sure if I will go for a rotisserie with this one as they cook up really well in the roasting rack with indirect heat. Would be good for pork and legs of lamb but.

This one has one of those deep roasting dishes and I am thinking that this could be used as a smoker. Wood chips in the dish, and one burner on low under it for smoke. Then another burner on high for the heat. Gonna give it a go and see what happens.

The Isabrowns are Ok. They are laying huge eggs at the moment so they are pulling their weight.

Warmest day for the year so far here today.

• The_Grub
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Freezing wet and cold here. Hey, you could smoke chillies and maybe tomatoes?

• ozmantis
    18 years ago

I am going to have a go at smoking Jalapenos later in the season. Just wish the trout were biting up in the hills. Smoked trout is easy, quick and yummy.

• The_Grub
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Smoked trout and warm potato salad. Mmm.

• ozmantis
    18 years ago

Warm potato salad on its own is ok by me. Might even do one tonight as I have all the ingredients.

Home now and just checked the radar on the net. Cripes, theres a storm front heading our way. Nasty looking bugger but only narrow so it wont last long if it gets here.

• Raymondo
    18 years ago

I'm thinking fresh pasta, halved cherry toms warmed in a good evoo with plenty of garlic, smoked trout, a little chopped sorrel (or lemon basil for a milder hit), a little salt, some cracked pepper perhaps, all tossed together and accompanied by a delectable vino.

• Spatzbear
    18 years ago

I'm thinking spaghetti with tomato sauce (preserved tomatoes from last season), and freshly minced meat seasoned with all kinds a goodies, shaped into tiny meatballs, dropped into sauce. Nice sparkling red. Freshly baked crusty bread for mopping.

• ozmantis
    18 years ago

Well you two had to chime in here eh.
    Grub and I were having a nice little banter and dreaming.

The short story is, fish and chips for tea - storm was a fizzer.

• Spatzbear
    18 years ago

Spaghetti meatballs were delish!
    Cool change is here. Yesterday was stinking hot and muggy. Today is a perfect day for serious bottlebrush pruning and brushcutting and getting another bonfire going.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES