SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stevew30

Tree fern crown shrinking ???

stevew30
10 years ago

Hi, I live in the UK and have had a lovely 6ft tree fern (Dicksonia Antartica) for the last 3 years. It is planted in the ground and each year produces a lovely crop of huge fronds. During the winter I fill the crown with straw, tie the fronds together to add more protection, then wrap the whole tree in fleece.

Once winter is over I unwrap it and cut off the fronds, which by this time are brown and dead. What I have noticed is that each year the new fronds come out from the crown, but this means that each year the crown is getting smaller and smaller in size - like an ever decreasing circle.

When I look at the trunk, I can see where all the old fronds have been trimmed over time, and the shape of the trunk is like an hour glass, which suggests to me that this has happened to it at some point before.

My question is: is it normal for the crown to get smaller and smaller each year, as the new fronds come out. Or am I doing something wrong ? I worry as I can see a point in say 5 years time where the crown will be too small for any new fronds to come out !

Thanks,
Steve

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022