SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
billy_lew

Distressed Strelitzia

Billy_Lew
18 years ago

2+ years ago I planted 3 Birds of Paradise. 2 in garden (limestone country) and 1 in a pot. All are distressed. Leaves are ragged and have large inkspots. Don't look healthy right back to the soil. Too much/not enough water? Inadequate drainage? Too much/not enough food? A disease? I would appreciate help.

(A photo can be seen in Oz Garden Gallery).

Lew.

Comments (2)

• moreton
    18 years ago

Hi BL,
    Ink spot in a strelitzia is caused by all the things you stated in your post, if they are in a sunny spot, they can get burnt in hot sun,wind. To shallow,poor drainage will also will not help.Being a more tropical plant,it my not like your winters either. Position is very important for strelitzia, shaded in summer heat, warm sunny position in cooler parts. Deep good soil as they are a big rooted clumping plant and need plenty of room to move/ grow bigger. Good luck. Peter r

• murraya
    18 years ago

Hello there the problem you describe is very typical of a condition called Bacterial leaf stripe.... It is commonly seen in strelitzia if they are waterlogged , under fed or stressed.. try a seasol drench every 10 days and spray the plant with a mix of Anti rot and copper oxy chloride @ 2 gram / L

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County