SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jimmy_brown_afp

small flies around chilli plants

jimmy_brown_afp
14 years ago

hi there...

just want to know if anyone's experienced the same as i have...

i have a number of chilli plants of different varieties growing under artificial light in my attic... they originally grew outside in pots, which explains as to where the critters came from....

the critters in question, are of two types (i think)...

one is a small fly which whilst larval, grows beneath the surface of the soil, and comes to the surface as a pupae, which then changes into the flies in question? to me all things point toward fruit flies, however, appear smaller, and of a slightly different shape...

the other, is of a tiny little white/yellow bug, which when sprayed, jumps quite high, like a flea? it generally lies just beneath the surface of the soil, until the soil's disturbed... i've sprayed pyrethrum on the flies and soil, and it seems to kill the critters fine, however in a couple of days, they're back...

as my plants are quite young, there's no fruit as yet, however my concern lies in the next couple of months, and as to whether these pesky things are going to cause any problems for me besides the irritation?

any diagnosis, prognosis or info regarding suspects, and remedies are greatly appreciated...

kind thanks, james...

Comment

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County