SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
auzziebloke

Do some kangaroos eat strawberry plant leaves

auzziebloke
12 years ago

G'day. Do ya know if some kangaroos eat strawberry plants(the leaves)

I might or might not have a problem with Eastern Greys eating me strawberry plants.

I've grown heaps of strawbs up in styro boxes for many a year with Eastern Greys wandering about the strawbs in my open style garden.

That mob of Eastern Greys never even remotely looked interested in eating my strawberry plant leaves.

But I relocated. I'm a lucky old geezer because I nabbed a triffik joint amongst plenty of bush. Mobs of roos in it roaming freely, which delights me a treat.

Unfortunately, after re-setting up my styro boxes of strawbs, they were stripped bare of leaves in one night.

I saw the roos all round me plants the day before and they WERE'NT eating them. BUT,.,it looks bloody suspicious and it don't mean they aint the crims in this caper.

I'm wondering if some mobs of roos have a taste for strawberry leaves while some roos don't.

If the kangaroos did eat these strawb plants I'm thinking they would have chomped them more severely. It certainly aint insect damage. These plants still have all the stems intact.

Me new joint also has a mob of resident Brushtail Possums just like the old one. I had a ton of fun at me old abode sharing gobfuls of me home grown strawbs with them. Literally. They'd come inside me shack, and sit in me lap chomping fruit and eating strawberries from me gob. I tamed em up a treat. As tame as you could get for wild possums. But they never went and ate the leaves off the plants or even attack the fruit. I don't know why.

I'm a forgiving old codger when it comes to defending our local native wildlife and am happy to share. But, by looks of it, these sneaky strawb strippers who ever they are, aint inclined to share.

If I can identify the who's who in this dastardly crime I can then design a plan to safely thwart their thievery without any heavy brigade tactical stuff.

Maybe in my effort to find an answer I'm subconciously defending these Aussie icons and am being blindsided by them.

I luv me garden roos and all our wildlife.

thanks for your thoughts on whether roos like to chomp on strawberry plants

Comment (1)