SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luvtogrow_gw

Terminalia ferdinandiana

luvtogrow
17 years ago

hi,

does anyone have any tips on germinating kakadu plum seed.

I have tried 48h vinegar soak which was recomended to me, but have had no success.

best regards,

luvtogrow

Comments (6)

• footfullabindiis
    17 years ago

Not sure the vinegar soak would be worthwhile - usually only relevant for fruits that are bird dispersed. T. ferdinandiana are usually eaten by mammles like bandicoots.
    I have not attenpted to germinate myself but was advised by someone who had that they take a very long time to come up. She said that she left the flesh on the seeds and buried them half way in soil and covered with light leaf litter...and waited....
    Im really not sure what sort of success you would have with them down there even if they did germinate - I take it you must live on the north coast NSW? Could be a bit too cool for Top Enders......

• footfullabindiis
    17 years ago

And by the way - up here we call them billy goat plums.
    Kakadu plum is a contrived marketing name...
    And maybe I am a bit too pedantic....

• cherax
    16 years ago

BG Plum.... It is suggested to scarify with 40 grit sandpaper and be very patient. I have some in a humidicrib now for 3 months and counting. occassionally check them to ensure that they are not being attacked by fungus etc I pullem out and soak in a weak bleach solution and put back. I have been informed that thewy take quite awhile before germination A

• Darin Ven
    5 years ago

You should make a video or picture step by step on how to plant the seed. Thanks

• HU-738796067
    last year

so like the gumbi gumbi seed do you soak in warm water a few days an then rub in sand prior to planting so they come up quicker

Sponsored
Dream Outdoor Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Providing Quality Home Improvements in South Riding for Over 30 Years