SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donncha_gw

Beginner watering questions...

donncha
20 years ago

Hi All,

I have a history of having plants die on me, due to ignorance on my part. After a few years without plants, I've just moved into an apartment with a large balcony, and I decided to get a couple of plants and learn how to look after them properly.

So, I've just bought myself a Yucca and two Dracaenae (1 Fragrans & 1 Fragrans 'Massangeana') and I need a little advice. Please note that I intend to leave these plant outside, not indoors. I'm by the coast in Sydney, so the climate is warm enough for them outside (I think)?

I was told that I need to water the Dracaenae (about 4ft tall) with 9 litres every 2 days. Now, after putting 3 litres into the pot, a fair percentage drains out the bottom. Common sense would indicate that putting any more in would seem to be a waste. A bit of web research indicated that they should be watered until water comes out the bottom of the pot, and only when the top of the soil is dry. Is this right? Also, since they're outside in summer, the top of the soil will dry out quicker than if they were indoors, but 3-4cm below is still quite moist. Should I still go on how dry the top is?

Secondly, I read that Dracaenae don't like flouride. Flouride is added to the tap water in Sydney to a level of 1mg/L. Is that enough to be harmful and if so, how can I counteract that?

Now, to the Yucca (about 4ft tall). My understanding is that this is a real drough plant and can handle only being watered once a month. Is this correct? What would be a good rule of thumb for a plant situated in the sun?

Finally, I had a look for suitable books in Dymocks today and didn't really see any. Could anyone recommend a book along the lines of "Balcony gardening for dummies"?

thanks,

donncha

Comments (2)