SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tuppitoo

Hippestrum 2011

tuppitoo
12 years ago

Hip hip Hooray -the hippies have arrived not as exotic as Misty's but look nice at the moment

chas

{{gwi:2115319}}

and a closer look

{{gwi:2115320}}

Comments (7)

• inga007

I think it'a a Vallota speciosa - Scarborough lily .

• inga007

Must say, it's a little warmer than our 0 deg. temps.
    After a heavy rainfall, yesterday we had our first seasons snow fall, about 3 cent., but the afternoons sun melted it all.
    We are going to have a little more snow tomorrow.
    I was taking photos of roses, that were still blooming, the day before yesterday. Looks like another mild winter.

• tuppitoo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Inga. I looked it up and they are related.We had 35c a couple of days ago and abt 17 yesterday-not too good for the tomatoes but the flowers have liked the rain.
    chas

• User
    12 years ago

Its great to see all kind of lilies out Chas, your garden must look very pretty with all those colours in it..

• funnelweb
    12 years ago

The Vallotas have come on nicely, Chas. seems they have multiplied and thrived since we last talked about them.

Bill

• tuppitoo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

As Inga says it is also called Scarborough Lily. Does anyone know
    why it is called so? In the late 1800's people were asking the same question but I can't find any answers. I wonder if it arrived in England on a boat by that name?
    any one out there?
    regards chas

• funnelweb
    11 years ago

I think we've done this before Chas, haven't we? A few years ago! The genus commemorates a 17th century French botanist Pierre Valotta. As for the Scarborough lilly bit, we did settle that I think, but I can't quite recall how, methinks it might have had something to do with Scarborough in England.
    B

Sponsored