SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karl_a

Jeruselum Artichokes as green manure

karl_a
18 years ago

Hey All,

Well I'm starting the wind down after my first season in our new home. My early tomatoes suffered their final pick today.

Too many table varieties grown this year! So what is everyones pick for an early processing variety?

Preferably determinate as I like to do all my canning and drying in a job lot.

Onto message thread!

I grew jeruselum artichokes for the first time this year. What monsters! In clay, up against a western wall with almost no water they are now 3+m high and look like trees.

I figure the green manure I get from the tops will be great for mulch and the tubers will break the ground up so I don't need to work it so much. Does anyone know the best time to cut the tops for green manure and still get a good tuber harvest?

Its top of my list now for remediating very difficult locations. I'll just have to see how persistant the tubers are in the follow up years!

BTW, My pick for winter green manure is a mix of wheat and field peas, or just broad beans as these three plants are about the only things that grow in Canberra in our freezing winters! Can anyone suggest any others for nitrogen fixation that tolerate temps down to -7c.

Cheers

Karl

Comments (3)