SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ashmeri

Cymbidium aliafolia

ashmeri
18 years ago

This is an amazing ordhid, it has just grown and grown from pot size to pot size, now I have to make the decision whether to pot into a large pot or break it up, decisions, decisions.

the flowers go all round the plant.

Marion

{{gwi:2114919}}

Comments (7)

• User
    18 years ago

Hi Marion it is such a pretty one isn't it.
    I myself think it would be a shame to break it up.
    Just put in the next size pot it will look super.
    I love the way those sprays of orchids hang down thats great.
    Beautiful Pic....Cheers..MM.

• goldhills
    18 years ago

It would be a hard decision as it looks great now and even better if bigger but if you split it up you could have more. I don't know what I would do.

• plantsplus
    18 years ago

Thanks for showing us this orchid. I have one which I bought as Burma Star and now I know its "Proper" name thanks to your photo. Isn't it a great plant - I can understand your reluctance to split it up. I am going to divide mine into two plants as it is getting too heavy to hang and I think it needs to be up high to get the full benefit of the cascade of flowers. Robyn

• TonyfromOz
    18 years ago

Well, maybe you can keep it as a single clump. Have look at the way they grow C. aloifolium in Thailand!

There is a whole avenue of trees like this in Rama IX Royal Park in Bangkok, but I saw it grown in a similar way in other areas.

{{gwi:2114920}}

Here are the flowers. They did not make such a fine display as yours, but I suspect this was a stray out-of-season spike (Sep 04).

{{gwi:2114921}}

• ashmeri
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wonderful Tony, and thanks for the correct spelling, I was lazy and didn't go look at the tag and did it with my, EX-memory.

that street must be a glorious sight when they are all in flower.
    They must be in the shade most of the time, mine seems to like a fair bit of morning to noon sun, hence the yellowing leaves I suppose, but it seems to flower better than when I had it in the shade house like the other orchids.
    Marion

• barbarah_70
    18 years ago

Great, on 2 fronts. It looks good and now I have a "proper" name for mine.
    I'd tend to keep it as a single clump.
    Thanks to Tony too, the Avenue must look a sight in real life.

• ginnybee
    18 years ago

It is lovely Marion so dainty, I love to see the orchidsas I have problems with them here, my motto in life is when in dought don't, whatever you decide I'm sure it will be lovely.
    Jan.

Sponsored