SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artiew

Defining a 'tropical' plant

artiew
18 years ago

Hi All,

Having laid the foundations for my garden as 'Aussie rainforest with selected exotics', I have recently turned my attention to my courtyard. Wanting a small number of large plants with impact (over the distraction of a lot of smaller plants ), I found myself looking at Yucca and Agave. The 'style-gurus' would have it that these are plants more suited to a Mediterranean or Mexican-style courtyard, but I'd argue that they sit well with plants like Strelitzia, Gingers, bamboo and palms.

Some might say 'OK, but isnt that true of almost everything ?' - to a point, it is, but their green and variegated foliage blends in more successfully than the grey foliage adopted by many plants from the 'dry summers' school. I'm also struck by how successfully many gardeners have incorporated trees like Eucalypts and Melaleuca into tropical gardens - whatever rules one needs to follow in a tropical garden, the 'cottage' feel gives us a freedom that isnt apparent in a lot of other themes. Anyone have any experience melding 'out-of-the-box' choices into their tropical garden ?

Comments (5)

Sponsored