SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wattleblossom

Garden Styles

wattleblossom
17 years ago

Yesterday I found myself admiring a fairly large garden consisting mostly of lush green lawn, beautifully maintained box hedges and many delicate white sasanqua camellias. There were white roses too which were just about finished, and I could see the leafy rosettes of foxgloves and wondered if these were white as well. Now, this isn't my style of garden, but I did think the garden was beautiful in that it suited the large 1930's timber house, felt very peaceful and was so well maintained it was a joy to be there.

However, much to my dismay, I overheard the owner saying how much he "hated" multi-coloured gardens, cottage gardens, native gardens and so on. It struck me that this man's one-eyed attitude to gardens is fairly common these days, with some people thinking only their style of garden is the "right" one, and everything else is wrong.

After many years of experimenting I've decided that the best garden style for me is a semi-formal one, but I also believe, that as long as a garden is loved and doesn't contain invasive species, than an unplanned native garden, clipped formal garden, or a garden that isn't of any particular style at all, can also be beautiful.

What do others think?

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
More Discussions