SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artiew

Great (tropical) foliage book

artiew
18 years ago

Hi All,

My local bookstore stocks a lot of British books that promote roses and other flowering shrubs over almost everything else. I was pleasantly surprised to find 'Ornamental Foliage Plants for your Garden' on the shelves last night, and promptly bought it.

Pluses:

- Australian author (Denise Craig, you are a national treasure) and Australian publisher (New Holland Press)

- great coverage : 400 pages, 1500 plants, full-colour photos

- coverage of *many* tropical plants that I dont see in other books - philodendron, broms, cordyline, palms, cycads, dieffenbachia, draecaena

- lots of Aussie natives

- very authoritative and well-written

- $30 is a steal for a hardcover, full-colour book with this much gorgeous content

Minuses:

- no coverage of Heliconia that I could find, and only one Alpinia

- the index appears to have been written for someone with a magnifying glass

The store owner said that he can only get these books when the publishers release them to the warehouse with slight imperfections (usually a torn jacket), and that he doesnt feel Rocky people are prepared to pay full price for tropical gardening books. Sadly, I have to agree - I've leafed through a couple, seen the price and put it back on the shelf in many cases. $100 is just too much cash to part with when there are so many other bills to pay :(

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting