SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mooquack

Screening plant suggestions?

mooquack
18 years ago

All,

I am looking for suggestions for a tall screening plant roughly 8-15 feet tall to block out the nextdoor neighbours new house - the living room window stares directly into our backyard. Yes, I've looked into it and it's legal but then, it's legal to block them out with plants on my side too so there!

The minimum plant height would be in the 8 foot range since the fence is 6 feet tall and it needs to be a couple of feet higher than that. However, I'm not looking for something that will be 25-feet tall or something and totally block their sunshine. I want to somehow balance the privacy and the need to not come off looking like a complete mongrel for stealing their northern sun aspect.

I was thinking about a clumping bamboo but have no idea of a good variety to grow in Melbourne which would meet the height requirements I'm looking at. The only reason I'd though of the bamboo was because I figured it was quick-growing and self-supporting (i.e. it did not need to be attached to the fence for support).

Naturally I am welcome to any other suggestions, particularly if there's something that might be more attractive than bamboo or at least attract more wildlife to the garden.

Thoughts, comments and suggestions most welcome!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions