SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hoonie_gw

heleconias in WA

hoonie
19 years ago

Hi, would anyone know how to get hold of any type of heliconia, also has anyone grown these in WA?They are so lovely and no one seems to sell them here.

Thanks Jenny

Comments (12)

• Tacca
    19 years ago

Hi Jenny, what part of WA are you in? As Heliconias like humid heat, dislike cold and appreciate lots of water during the growing months then depending on what part of WA you are in will affect how easy they are to grow for you.

Scott

• hoonie
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi,Scott I`m in Bunbury about 200km from Perth. We dont get frost but winter nights can be quite cold.
    Thanks
    Jenny

• Tacca
    19 years ago

Hi Jenny, I suspect that you are pushing the limits a bit with the mediteranian climate over there. As you are in an area with lower humidity and cool Winters you could try and build up the microclimate with a canopy of tall plants and use some water features if possible to raise the humidity. Heliconias also appreciate protection from the wind.

If you want to give them a go I would try and get hold of some soon before the weather cools off, otherwise leave it to say next November when it is well and truly warmed up again.

I have heard that Heliconia Angusta is cold hardy enough to grow in Sydney but it still requires nurturing and Sydney is more humid than Bunbury....

Still, there are many plants that you can grow over there that would simply rot-off at the base here in Brisbane.

regards,

Scott

• BenWA
    19 years ago

Jenny

I live in Perth and I have both H. rostrata and H. angusta. They are less than a year old except one rostrata which I kept in a pot last winter and moved inside at night. All are now in the ground in protected positions and are putting on heaps of new growth.

I have heard that they will survive winter, with the leaves just looking a bit sick. If so I'm optimistic about their chances of surviving and flowering well. Bunbury's a bit colder than Perth but you've got nothing to lose except a few dollars.

I got mine by mail order from Paradise Distributors in Nambour, Qld. Very reliable.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Ben

• Szagey
    19 years ago

So... You guys wanna grow heliconias in Perth hey? Firstly, you have to be dedicated and have to make a lot of sacrifices. I'm telling you it is NOT easy growing these plants in Perth, but remember nothing is impossible, there is a trick to it and behind every great trick is a great magician. Hehe. And I'm sorry magicians never reveal their tricks to anybody unless it is to another magician who would like to share their tricks too. I dont mean to be cocky but i worked hard on my OWN to get these plants growing and a lot of people thought i was crazy so they decided not to help me.... they said, "no, you can't grow lipstick palm in perth" - well, i did. they also said "no you can't grow coconuts in perth" - i did. I also remember somebody specifically telling me not to grow other exotic tropical plants but i managed to grow and maintain my licuala grandis, my anthuriums, my cocoloba and dendrobium and vanda orchids. sooo... i think that the majority are a bunch of pessimistic losers who dont bother to try anything. one last thought, if you're dedicated and passionate - it'll grow! visit the link below as my proof... i also live in the eastern part of perth near the mountains where i get a lot of wind-trash too ... soo yeah, i'm not up in cosy sorrento or morley..

Here is a link that might be useful: Tropical Dreamland right here in Perth

• Gail_WA
    19 years ago

Hi Jenny,
    Well yes, I agree with Szagey......Heliconias CAN be grown in Perth and surrounds, but it is extremely difficult to keep them at their best. I have one about to flower but it's in a greenhouse (unheated) and protected from the winds. The Golden Torch varieties are supposed to be the easiest, but even this one will not survive in the normal garden bed here in Mandurah.
    I have flowers each year on my dwarf Jamaican Heliconia and that has nice leaves also.
    I grew a large coconut palm for 4 years before it finally gave way one winter..... and I do have a Licuala grandis also :)
    So....if you want to grow Heliconias, I suggest you find yourself a very warm/protected/north facing spot for a potted one, or build yourself a greenhouse :)

I got my tubers via mailorder also.
    Good luck,
    Regards,
    Gail Mandurah, WA

• CoralCoast_Tropicals
    19 years ago

Heliconia subulata is about the most cold tolerant Heliconia. I have known it to grow well and flower well in Auckland which is guess would be a bit colder than Perth.

• hoko
    18 years ago

In Taree NSW Heliconias get exposed to temperatures down to two degrees but we do have a higher humidity. I think making a canopy for the humidity is a good idea but heliconias need sun so you should try and have a balance between the canopy and the sun and a good aspect should help.
    best of luck,
    Jack

• tweed084_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

HI JENNY, MY NAME IS BRANKO AND I LIVE IN PERTH. NORTHERN SUBURBS. I HAVE 30 DIFFERENT VARIETYS OF HELICONIA'S GROWING IN MY GARDEN AND HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH OUR HEAT OR COLD EXCEPT THE FACT THAT THEY GROW SLOWER IN THE COLDER MONTHS. I HAVE HAD THREE VARIETYS FLOWERING SINCE I STARTED 2 YEARS AGO. THE THREE THAT HAVE BEEN FLOWERING QUITE WELL ARE :SUBULATA, GOLDEN TORCH AND PARROT BEAK GINGER. I AM WILLING TO SELL SOME WHEN I HAVE CULTIVATED THEM, BUT THAT WONT BE UNTILL EARLY SPRING 2011. EMAIL ME TO LET ME KNOW,
    BRANKO

tweed084@hotmail.com

p.s i know you posted your original message in 2005 but thought i would let you know what i have anyway.

• faztha7
    8 years ago

Hi there. I know this is an old post. Interesting to read the above information :-). Is there anyone who knows how I can get a malayan coconut palm seed or plant. I live in Perth. Thanks

• Denice Weaver
    8 years ago

I would like to get hold of a coconut palm (dwarf if possible) and lipstick palm. I live in Perth and can't seem to get a supplier to send me one. Any suggestions appreciated

Sponsored