SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
books4joy

2006 Readolutions

books4joy
18 years ago

Put the normal resolutions away for a spell; let's talk about our bookish "readolutions." Is an unfinished tome collecting dust under the bed? A TBR stack that's competing in a height contest with your eight year old? A book club selection taunting you from the corner? What are your literary ambitions for this year?
I resolve to help my bookcase lose ten pounds by reading all the unread books it contains. I also resolve to take more time to comprehend what I'm reading.
Happy 2006 everyone! ~Vanessa

Comments (15)

• netla
    18 years ago

Not a resolution as such, but I want to try not to buy more books until I have emptied a shelf to put the new purchases in. I keep my read and unread books separate and my TBR shelves are full and double stacked. This means staying away from the charity shop where I get most of my paperbacks for a couple of months at least.

• veronicae
    18 years ago

1. Finish books that are languishing on piles in the corner of my bedroom, and using up all my bookmarks. 2. Read all the TBR on the long shelf in my bedroom. 3. Not buy any books until a large part of 1&2 are accomplished.

• sheriz6
    18 years ago

Read more from the TBR pile rather than buying or borrowing -- the year I so innocently resolved to use the library more has resulted in a neglected TBR pile of scary size: two bookcases worth!

• sherwood38
    18 years ago

We just bought two more 5-shelf bookcases. My other bookcases were double stacked and I spent most of yesterday pulling out & sorting out the books. We found that we have both bought dupicates without realizing it, so have two copies of several books like Wuthering Heights, The Mystery of Edwin Drood and a couple others including 3 copies of Ivanhoe! I have painters coming in tomorrow and as soon as they are done I resolve to be ruthless and weed out books that are not 'keepers'and donate them or otherwise find good homes for them....anyone looking for anything that I can pass on? I told DH that we should stop buying for awhile and be happy with the ones on our TBR's stacks! I have been using the library much more this past year and been impressed with the web site and the interlibrary loans, request my books on line and receive an Email when the books are ready for pick up so plan to continue using the library....although there will obviously be some books that I just have to have! Happy New Year everyone!.........Pat

• lemonhead101
    18 years ago

Like many of you, I resolved to use the library more but in doing so, did not resolve to stop buying books so my TBR pile has increased exponentially. So my 2006 resolution is to increase the % of books-I-own that I read and get rid of the ones that I have but won't really read at some point. I have to empty my bookshelves somehow.

• pam53
    18 years ago

I am going to try to read the books on my TBR shelves-there are many. I vow also to be more selective about the books I keep and pass on right away those that are not "keepers". My husband and I are considering having shelves built in our living room area to surround our front window which is a window seat nook. If we in fact do this I would like to keep the books to a minimum in other parts of the house.

• twobigdogs
    18 years ago

Last year I resolved to read paperbacks and dispose of them unless they were really something special. It never happened. Maybe I live too close to my library but I keep reading their books and not my own books. So, I guess I have to try and read and dispose of paperbacks THIS year since I blew it last year..........P//.............Resolution #2 is to read more classics. I only read four classics in 2005 and that is dreadfully unacceptable. But gosh, mysteries are just SO much fun. ~~~~~PAM

• ccrdmrbks
    18 years ago

more reading, less housework.

• twobigdogs
    18 years ago

cece, That's beautiful.~~~~~PAM

• smallcoffee
    18 years ago

Excellent idea! Like most, I want to read through the books I have around the house. A stressful new job lead to some feverish trips to the book sale room. I also want to keep a book journal/log.

• kathleen_se
    18 years ago

Participate in more discussions. I have been mostly lurking for the past 15 months or so because of a project at work that required a lot of time. The book journal only lasted about a month last year, but I have already started for this year.

• dynomutt
    18 years ago

Read the books that I've actually bought and are gathering dust next to the bed. Or, at the very least, finish the darned books next to the bed that are half-read! As for housework, it would be hard to do any less than I do now. If I do less, I may need to purchase a machete to hack my way through the undergrowth .......

• captainbackfire
    18 years ago

I resolve to gather up all the bits of paper with books and authors written on them that are tucked away in various and sundry places and record them in my little tablet. I took care of quite a few of these in June when I did all the bits that were in my purse. But I have these other ones all over the house - drawers upstairs and down, file folders - you get the idea.........Next, I resolve to read more classics. (I'm getting off to a good start on this one as I just began "Emma.").........Finally, I resolve to finish books that I have started yet for whatever reason never finished. (But only the ones that were good; I won't pick any back up if they were duds when I stopped reading them!)

• frances_md
    18 years ago

Every year I make the same resolutions but don't keep them. This year I'm just going to resolve to read as many of my TBR books as possible and keep my book database and reading journal up to date. Resolving not to acquire more books until I make room on the shelves is useless -- I am a bookaholic with absolutely no will power.

• crazydogs
    18 years ago

Starting in June, when my calendar frees up a little more, I resolve to keep up with both my book club at home and the one here at RP. That might mean fewer "side" books, but what the heck.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022