SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tree_man_gw

Tulipwood

tree_man
18 years ago

I have 3 year old Tulipwood street trees planted in heavy clay/shale with lawn around. When young, they grew rapidly to the point where I pruned back to allow roots to spread and provide solid anchorage. The roots had spread through the loose shallow topsoil but not penetrated very deep. At that point they were still very green, but over the last year the foliage has turned lime green/yellow and growth is slow. The site is at the bottom of a long slope, planty of sun, and after wet periods the trees get damp feet for a few days and I suspected that I was getting washout of nitrogen. After three weeks of applying liquid fertilizer some of the older foliage is getting slightly darker but I was expecting a better response. Another thought was possible shortage of calcium affecting the pH. Some of the older suburbs (New Farm, Windsor, South Bris)have beautiful Tulipwoods growing out of the pavement so they definitely don't require fussing if the conditions are suitable. What might be affecting mine?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County
More Discussions