SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sivyaleah

Request for NYC Gardening Web Sites

Laurie
17 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I work for an architectural firm in NYC. Our company is involved in the landscaping of a new condo going up in Harlem.

While we have specified plantings in other projects in the past, this is the first time that we will be actively involved with a landscape architect. The LA will be in charge of the actual design of the gardens, NOT in the chosing of the materials.. This is the first time we will be involved in designing something with any real significance - not just sticking some trees and bushes into the ground LOL. So, we want to be able to really make an impact with our choices but make smart choices too.

Anyway - I personally know quite a bit but about landscaping issues in our area but must admit to being more familiar with my home Zone 6A.

I'm having some difficulty establishing what Zone NYC actually falls into. For some reason, I assumed it would be one of the 6's, but when I looked online it was coming up as 7. Is this possible? Could this be because of the heat effect of being in the City?

Also, I could use some guidance towards some websites which would help us in starting off our search for appropriate plantings. The landscape architect is coming into our office tomorrow (Saturday), however, she is my bosses sister in from California and not all that familiar with our native plantings. As mentioned, she is on the project just for designs, not for the picking of plants. AS a side mention, she has been featured on Landscaper's Challenge on HDTV.

Anyway, any help you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Laurie

Comments (4)