SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phaedros_gw

Project - Miniature Cactii Diaorama

phaedros
18 years ago

PROJECT Â MINIATURE CACTII DIORAMA.

Hi. I am new here (and to cacti) and would appreciate some response from those with practical knowledge to avoid us making silly mistakes or wasting a lot of effort on ideas that are in fact not going to work!

Location 1: We live in the Brisbane Valley (30 miles due West of Brisbane). Temperatures vary between overnight frosts to low 20s in winter with moderate humidity; to around 10 to mid 30s (with periodic 3 or 4 day spells in the 40s) and quite high humidity during the summer. The Valley is a rain shadow area and does not enjoy a great deal of rainfall.

Location 2: We have a large (60Â x 12Â) NE facing veranda with plenty of space on it that we would like to make more use of. Lot of light but direct sunlight can be controlled if required. Wind is rarely an issue in this spot.

Project: Create an arid/desert landscape in miniature using local fossilized wood, sands and small pebbles for structural appearance, then populate it with a variety of cactii to form a collection but also compliment the picture rather than packing them in for the sake of it. A plastic tray (with drainage holes) would be used and the size would be around 8" deep x 4Â6" x 3Â (Dining table size).

The local supermarket regularly stocks ÂDanÂs Cactus that are attractive little ornamentals in a wide range of shapes, colours and sizes  but are all small. The information with each plant is however rather Spartan and they are not identified as to species.

Now some questions please:

1. Are there actually miniature cactii that stay really small? We do not want anything to get much over about 8". Or are we dealing with Âseedlings that may grow slowly but will potentially become large?

2. We have total control over soil and were thinking of a layered effect of a stony and/or sand topping, sand/potting mix mid level and a bottom level of coarse sand to ensure good drainage. Any comments/suggestions? Is soil alkalinity or acidity an issue with cactii?

3. We were thinking of de-potting the plants and putting them directly into the little ÂworldÂ. Is this practical or wise, alternatively should they be left in buried pots?

Any help or observations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Phaedros

Comments (2)

• thefof Zone 8/9 UK
    18 years ago

Hi Phaedros

Like your idea. You do have some issues to work through, though

"1. Are there actually miniature cactii that stay really small? We do not want anything to get much over about 8". Or are we dealing with ?seedlings? that may grow slowly but will potentially become large? "

Dan's Cacti, like a lot of those found in Garden Centres, are generally very young plants, and NEVER named. This makes it very difficult to determine their final size. I would seriously suggest that you either use Dan's and wait and see what you have, or visit a Cactus Nursery where they will suggest plants that will fit your requirements.

Check out http://homepage.powerup.com.au/~cssq/sellers.html

"2. We have total control over soil and were thinking of a layered effect of a stony and/or sand topping, sand/potting mix mid level and a bottom level of coarse sand to ensure good drainage. Any comments/suggestions? Is soil alkalinity or acidity an issue with cactii?"

Basically OK. Just ensure that the sand you use is COARSE, not brickies or builders sand, and definately not beach sand unless VERY, VERY thougherly washed. I have found most cacti like neutral to slightly acidic, but some do like a bit of alkalinity. Overall, though, neutral will be fine.

"3. We were thinking of de-potting the plants and putting them directly into the little ?world?. Is this practical or wise, alternatively should they be left in buried pots? "

De-pot and let them have some root room :-))

Here is a pic, taken about a yr ago, of my bed, here in Sydney. Any plants found at Garden Centres that look 'interesting' or any spares I have, all get stuffed in. The vast majority seem to love it, though a few just never made it - not counting the 2 that got eaten by slugs.

Experiment! You never know how they will go for you. Everyones soil/climate/environment are unique as is the shade of green that your fingers are. A friend of mine grows gorgeous Camellias - for me they ALWAYS turn their toes up :-(((

Good luck, and enjoys experimenting.

LOL

Fof
    {{gwi:2111608}}

• phaedros
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Tks thefof - kind of you and some useful info there to make a start with.

I also got Dan's email addy and sent a string of questions but so far have received only a spontaneous outburst of apathy :)

That is prob fair enough - they are strictly wholesalers and are probably not geared up to deal directly with civilians!

Anyone else got few cents worth they would like to toss in?

I will keep an illustrated record of what we do through the various stages and offer it here as a self contained article. May help other newbies as so often in so many interests and disciplines, basic starting info can be difficult to dredge up and/or find in one place.

Tks again

Aye

Phaedros

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County