SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
frank0205

Mammillaria sanchez-mejoradae

frank0205
17 years ago

The maximum temperature of yesterday was just 12 'C and raining. It seems far away to the sunny spring days but some of Mammillarias are in flowers in my glasshouse.

Sanchez-mejoradae is one of them, which sowed seed last year.

Here is a link that might be useful: sanchez-mejoradae

Comments (4)

• baldric
    17 years ago

This sounds great. How about a photo. I checked your link and was wondering is yours grafted also.

I think I know why people graft.... rapid growth. what I would like to know is how does one go about seperating the established plant from its host. I it a simple matter or what?

Ps where do you obtain your seed.

Baldric

• frank0205
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Baldric

I use two method of de-grafting. One is normal de-grafting, which is removed stock completely from a scion. The rooting is as same as from cutting. The other is remained short vascular bandles of stock, about 3 cm. The roots come out from the vascular bandles.

I got seeds from Arizona Cactus Gardenin VIC.

Frank

• dannyd
    17 years ago

I had a look at your updated photo album. Very impressive.

How do you get your grafts to grow so big? Whats your secret?
    I graft onto pereskiopsis and all the grafts that I did last Spring/Summer are tiny compared to yours. I will try to post a pic of my Mamm Sanchez that I grafted, its only grown about 4 turbercles.

I have Mamm herrerae and solisiodes with flower buds at the moment but are struggling to flower because of lack of sun. These ones are on their own roots. I gave them a little water 2 days ago, hope that helps.

• frank0205
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Dannyd

There is no secret on my grafting. I have never tried pereskiopsis yet but you should use:
    A large grafting stock, it grows slowly if the stock is not large enough.
    Much fertilizer and water, root stocks are normally strong and you can feed much water and fertilizer than normal cactus.
    I tested 50% of matured dynamiclifter, 25% of general potting mix and 25% of sand for Harrisia jusbertii. It worked very well.

My Mamm herrerea and solisiodes also have flower buds and waiting more sunlight.

Frank

Sponsored