SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rose_qld

waterwise Aust plants overseas....eremophilas

Rose_Qld
18 years ago

An article in the weekend Rockhampton newspaper pointed out the significant proportion of Australian plants used in Arizona gardens. It specifically mentioned eremophilas of which we have a heap of varieties and which can be grafted onto more moisture hardy rootstock for the coast. My mother has just killed one by overwatering.... the daily squirt. Very hard to get her to change her habits but at least it's not potable water. I feel that this is one underused species in its own country.

A quick Googling produced this site. I'd probably rather use a suitable (that includes non-invasiveness) Oz plant than an exotic but it's interesting to see what other dry areas are using.

Here is a link that might be useful: a xeriscaping plant list

Comments (2)

• artiew
    18 years ago

Hi Rose,

If you have 'Creating an Australian Rainforest Garden' (Bailey and Lake), it has a sensational photo of an Eremophila in full cry - a complete contrast to the image I had of the humble 'Emu Bush'. It also highlights the beauty of plants which many consider 'background' plants - lillipillies and Austromyrtus, for example - and turns the notion that an Aussie rainforest garden is only shades of green completely on its head.

Probably my favourite book, that one :)

Cheers,

Artie

• Rose_Qld
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Artie, if you come back, I have that book, a skinny but informative volume published in 1994. Has there been a later edition, 'cos I can't find any eremophila pics. Yarrandoo nursery usually has a few varieties, I might have to pay them visit.
    Cheers
    Rose

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions