SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
baldric_gw

stapellias in australia

baldric
17 years ago

Hello,

Recently i found a stapelliad site and was simply blown away by the exrtaordinary variety of plants and flowers.. they are indeed the orchid of the succulent world.

I have two species . Does any member have more ... i would enjoy seeing a photo of same.

the reason for this is to determine what the range of stapellias are available in Australia.

Alternatively some one may be able to assist me in finding a supplier... preferably in victoria.

Baldric

Comments (14)

• julie_m
    17 years ago

Hello again Baldric, you might think differently when they flower. I waited impatiently for mine to open and when it did I couldn't get into the shadehouse without feeling quite ill. The stench is horrible. I have the large purple flowering stapeliad and some hurnias (the inoperable type) - Hurnia Zebrina which has a quite attractive flower and H. pendula, which is a spindly looking plant. As far as photos go, I found it so much of a hassle uploading photos that I hate doing it. Is there an easier way than the html stuff?

• User
    17 years ago

Baldric, I would assume you have been to Collector's Corner in Keysborough??

Cheers,
    Dee.

• baldric
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Dear julie_m and deejaus

I get the impression we three are the only kids at hymn practice ... no one wants to talk to us ... I hope there are more kids on the block and a few older types that want to share their knowledge .

Julie

"the inoperable type " indeed.

As for your picture question.

Go to Photobucket.com ,register,(its free) and upload your pictures [I have dial up, not broadband ,so it is a bit slow.. but ok]to an album.

Once your pictures are uploaded, highlight the line after "Tag" and copy it. Then paste it in your GW post.

NB you need to copy and paste the information in the box next to "tag". It will come up as gobbledegoop on your post but upon opening it, it will come up as a pictue.
    Give it a go.

deejaus,

"I would assume you have been to Collector's Corner in Keysborough"...

You are correct. But as I live in Bacchus Marsh it requires a full tank and a cut lunch.

FROSTS
    I have had a few frosts lately like julie ...puddles turned to ice etc.. this is why we need an active forum ... it does not help me to hear how the US is budding and greening up , I need local information that is immediatly relevant ... don't you ... don't we all?

I have an advanced Dracena draco and i am starting to wonder if it will get to big to cover ... i realy need a long term solution for its protection ... I am too nervous to take a punt and leave it un protected

• hablu
    17 years ago

Here 's an picture from last year. Don't know excactly it's species. Hablu
    {{gwi:2111672}}

• baldric
    Original Author
    17 years ago

HELLO HABLU ,

I love the picture , allowing for differences between plants of the same species I think this is a Stapelia variagata. th picture I have is more brown but has the same browns and yellow together with the crincled perianth and raised center. Whatever it is I have saved it to my collection as Stapelia variagata hablu.

I was hoping you might try again with your photo of your magnificent cotelydon ... I could not open your last posting.

kind regards,
    Baldric

Unfortunately I cannot show you my photo ... I did not take the photo and have no right to use it .

• hablu
    17 years ago

I'll keep on trying. next effort.
    {{gwi:2111673}}

• julie_m
    17 years ago

Thanks for the upload info Baldric...sigh...so much effort! There used to be an insert image option many months ago. I guess the server is weighed down enough without images.Its hard to remember the html code that I did last time. Anyway B. this is one of my babies. And as far as the frost goes, I've covered my plants with shade cloth/plastic bags/pots, what ever fits. I take them off in the morning and put them on before I close up for the night. So far everything is fine.
    {{gwi:2111674}}

• hablu
    17 years ago

This last one looks like Stapelia flavirostris. Hablu

• julie_m
    17 years ago

I was under the impression that it was S. leendertziae but it came from my father's garden so I'm not exactly sure. I ID my plants by photos found on the net and as you probably know, if you put in a Google image search for one plant it will give you all manner of strange results.

• Davez104
    17 years ago

Hi all,
    Have not visited here in a while, seems things are really slowing down. I have a few stapeliads, can't remember all thier names though. I'll have a look tommorrow and post again, maybe with some pics. One that I do know is S leendertziae, and mine looks a bit like the pic above, not a very scientific ID I know, but might help. As for frosts, not a problem up here in Central Qld, Its about 15C outside at the moment :)

Cyas
    Dave

• baldric
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello Dave,

Please post a few pictures. I think, because I am a relatively new on this forum no one is interested in my thoughts .

But I want to see regular relevant informative input on our site.

It should be as vibrant as those in the US.

I want information like a sponge, and I am sure there are many just like me.

And You Dave might help resuscitate this site .

regards,

Baldric

• Davez104
    17 years ago

"And You Dave might help resuscitate this site ."
    Haha, I doubt it, I don't spend a lot of time on forums but drop in from time to time. Had a look and I only have three stapelaids, leendertziae, variagata and lemaire I think is how it is spelt. Name tags are fading and a bit hard to read :) The lemaire is abit sad looking and has never done very well, but then they do tend to get neglected a bit :( I'll see what I can do re photos.

Dave.

• lychas
    17 years ago

i'll get pics of mine next times it flowers, your welcome 2 a piece if you want, email me if interested

• baldric
    Original Author
    17 years ago

HELLO lychas's ,

I would love a piece if i dont have it. i cannot e-mail you as your e-mail is not disclosed.

baldric

Sponsored