SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
casablancalily23

Help! Can't find what I'm looking

19 years ago

Greetings All...

I am new to this borad, and also recently new to Long Island. I have just moved to Suffolk County from Manhattan and still in an adjustment period. I only have a small patio in which to have plants, and I have a good bit of shade, so I am fairly limited in what I can plant. I am desperately seeking some Bleeding Heart and Lily of the Valley, but I have been to several local places and haven't been able to find any! I also went to Bloominhaus... they had some good fuscias, impatiens and salvia... but to my dissapointemnt no bleeding heart! I could order online, but I would really much rather buy locally, somewhere I could develop a relationship with... can anyone help me!?!?! any suggestions would be greatly appriciated... I am willing to go a bit out of the way if the plants are good and healthy...

Comments (11)

• 19 years ago

Try The Glass Greenhouse in Jamesport on Rt25. They have everything. If you want you can call ahead to see if they have what you want before you trek out there.

Here is a link for direction and a phone number. Hope it helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Glass Greenhouse

• 19 years ago

My favorite nursery is Daisy White in Mt. Sinai. Take 347 East until you get to Mt. Sinai Coram Road; turn left, heading north. Take this to it's end, turn right onto North Country Road. They are about 3/4 of a mile down on the left side. (If you know where Mt. Sinai HS is, they are just east of that a short way.)

I don't know for sure if they have bleeding heart, but give them a call. It's a gorgeous place, and the quality of the plants is excellent. Prices are reasonable, and they people who run it are lovely.

Daisy White Nursery. 185 N. Country Road. Mt. Sinai NY 11766-0787. (631) 474-3897

Welcome to LI! I hope you are adjusting well...it is a shocking change, isn't it?

• 18 years ago

At this point the bleeding hearts are about finished and dying back. I would lokk for them in the fall or next year. I rarely see lily of the valley in nurseries but see it often in catalogs. Some many people pass it on.

• 18 years ago

If you click on the "exchange", there is a person giving away lily of the valley.

• 18 years ago

How about Hicks Nursery in Westbury? It's not that long a trip to there and the people in the Perennials dept. will show you many more plants besides bleeding hearts that work well in shade.

• 18 years ago

i've found beautiful bleeding hearts at Home Depot and even Stop N Shop - but only during their bloom season - which was a couple months ago. it's terrible to have to wait, but next march is when you'll start to see them again. in the mean time, fill the area with impatiens and you'll have color all summer.

• 18 years ago

Dear Casablanca Lily,
    Im also in Smithtown...Hitherbrook Nursery in St. James is close and always has healthy plants. Also on Nissequogue farm on Rt 25A just past BB&GG Nursery in St. James has lots of periennials. Further east, if you feel like taking a road trip "Trimble's" Cutchogue is the most beautiful/organized nursery in the world! The owners are extremely helpful. Prices are a little high...but worth it because you get what you pay for. Good Luck!

• 18 years ago

Thank you to everyone who has replied to my plea! I have found alot of interesting plants in some of the nurseries that you have suggested... I couldn't find any bleeding heart that looked really great this year, so I turned to some other plants. I am really happy with a beautiful columbine that I found at Hicks, and I also got some double impatiens that look really sweet in a box on my railing...
    Thanks again everyone! Your time and consideration was greatly appreciated!!!!

• 18 years ago

I was at Atlantic Nursery in Freeport and they have some big bleeding hearts. They are outside in front, near the black iron fence. I didn't notice the price. For what its worth, the BH I have had for five years finished blooming about a week ago and it's already turning yellow and disappearing. But I have no fear. It always does that and returns every spring.

• 18 years ago

The Peconic River Herb Farm in Calverton probably has what you are looking for. The link to it is: www.prherbfarm.com
    The directions are on the left side of the page half way down.

• 18 years ago

Jannie, and if that plant does not come back I'm sure you will have plently of seedlings. I have tons of them every year.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH