SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamus_s

Argimony

Jamus_S
18 years ago

I've just purchased an argimony plant. It's quite pretty and very welcome to live in my herb garden, I must confess I don't know much about it. Can anyone share any experience, knowledge, etc about this plant with me?

Comments (3)

• Daisyduckworth
    18 years ago

Agrimonia eupatoria

Also called Cocklebur, Sticklewort, Church Steeples. Perennial to 1 metre. Bunches of soft, downy, serrated leaves grow from a deep, tough root. Long yellow flower-spikes to 1 metre tall, in summer and autumn, and the whole plant smells aromatically of apricots. Seed capsules are burrs with hooked bristles which can be a nuisance attaching themselves to pet fur and clothing.

Cultivation: Propagate by seed or by root division in early spring. Seeds are slow to germinate. Sow at 20C, and if seeds do not germinate with 3-4 weeks, move to Â4-+4C for 2-4 weeks. Will grow in most soils, prefers dry conditions. Prefers full sun, but will grow in partial shade. Drought-tolerant. It will self-seed and is susceptible to powdery mildew.

Harvesting: Aerial parts should be harvested before the plant flowers in late spring or early summer. Harvest the leaves in late autumn for dyeing. The flowers should not be harvested where the spiny burrs are beginning to develop.

Culinary Uses: Makes a delicious tea which smells of apricots.

Medicinal Uses: An infusion of the leaves is used to treat coughs, sore throat, ulcers, conjunctivitis, diarrhoea, vaginal discharges, excessive menstrual bleeding and bleeding from any part of the body, skin problems jaundice, hepatitis and other liver problems. It also acts as a diuretic. The roots and whole plant are boiled in milk to be used for diabetes and any attendant incontinence problems. A tea from the immature cockleburrs is drunk to soothe coughs and sore throat. Externally used to treat tinea, acne, sores, slow-healing wounds and insect bites. Useful in cases of anaemia, and a digestive tonic for the elderly and the debilitated. As a mouthwash, it is used to help remove tartar from the teeth. Often used to draw out thorns and splinters. Soak the area in the infusion for 30 minutes and the splinter should press out easily. A weak tea used as eyewash for burning, itchy eyes, conjunctivitis and blepharitis. A poultice of the leaves is used for migraines. A gargle is used by singers and speakers before a performance. Once used to treat leucorrhoea and gonorrhoea.
    Medicinal Actions: Alterative, anti-inflammatory, antibiotic, astringent, tonic, diuretic, chologogue, hepatic, vulnerary.

Usual Dosage: Pour 1 cup boiling water over 1 teaspoon dried leaves, flowers or roots, steep for 10-15 minutes. Strain. Take 1-2 tablespoons every 4-6 hours. Tincture: Take 1/4-1/2 teaspoon at a time.

Other Uses: In the past, agrimony was used in dressing leather, because it has a high level of tannin. Leaves yield a yellow dye. If gathered in summer the colour will be pale, if in autumn, the colour deepens. Use in potpourri and sleep pillows. It is used by veterinarians to treat jaundice and sprains in animals. The tea makes an astringent skin lotion for clearing skin, and added to a bath soothes aches.

Warning: Avoid when pregnant. Should not be used where dryness of body secretions...

• Jamus_S
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Just noticed I spelt that wrong. Agrimony it should be. Thankyou Daisy, interesting info there.

ANyone have any experience growing it, tales of personal experience with the plant?

• Daisyduckworth
    18 years ago

I had a plant for years, but perhaps because I keep moving it around, it has never formed any burrs (for which let us be truly thankful!). Here in the subtropics, I try to keep it in partial shade, and it seems happiest there. These days I keep it only for novelty value, but it used to come in quite handy when I had 'woman troubles' or a sore throat with a cold coming on. I didn't notice any apricot flavour, but then I used to mix it in with nasturtium, which probably killed it!

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals