SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenfingers_ni

Baujade Apple

greenfingers_ni
18 years ago

I posted this on the Fruit Forum but no luck. So, does anyone down here have any experiences with this apple variety? I would like to know how 1) what rootstock it would normally be grafted onto and 2) (depending on its rootstock of course) how big has yours grown to?

I found some last week, and it looks like what I want. Label says "New French Granny Smith type apple ripening late in the season. Med sized sweet, aromatic fruit. Well suited to warmer climates. Highly recommended for organic orchards."

I have been wanting a Granny Smith to add to my collection, but have run out of fences and walls to espalier along. In the nursery, its growth habit is very compact and looks much like a ballerina apple tree - i.e. like a vertical pole and carry fruit on the main trunk instead of branching everywhere. The trees in the nursery are laden with fruit, so I'm guessing these are fairly mature.

The back of the label gives a list of various root stocks that it could be grafted onto (rated as vigourous, semi-vigourous, dwarf and super dwarf) along with the eventual sizes that each would grow to. Unfortunately there is no indication of which rootstock any of these Baujade apples are grafted onto, and no one at the nursery could help me with my questions....I don't want to end up with a vigourous one!

I googled it (I love the internet!), but most info is in French and my French is next to nill. The photos of it in what I think are field trials look promising though - still very compact and loaded with fruit.

My gut instinct says that they will probably remain compact and would fit into my garden perfectly.....anyone got any comments please?

Comments (2)

• vetivert8
    18 years ago

Waimea Nurseries are listed as producers and could be a place to start. Or Lincoln.

About the nearest I get to espallier is the rampant Wisteria, so I'm in deep admiration for anyone who knows how/attempts this practical art form!

Did you get any rain? We did - and a bit of chill southerly to follow. Everything has perked up - even me (!), but I'm still moving toward more xeriscaping to cut down on the watering.

• greenfingers_ni
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the info! That bit seems to be missing from the label.

Espalliering is the only way I can grow fruit trees here - I'm not allowed to dig up the lawn :( but, on the good side, our property is heavily terraced with 3x 7ft high retaining walls which provide a really good framework for the trees! I'm in my second year of it, so we'll see if I still find it easy in the next few years! I thought it would be really difficult too but I flogged Mums Yates Garden Guide and followed that (my version has absolutely useless info so I'm currently hunting for one printed from between 1950-1960). I've found that you treat the trees a bit like a grapevine, just not so brutally! - train the main trunk and shoots along guides and trim out any unwanted shoots. Oh rats, that just reminded me I must trim the grapevine, again.

We got about 1 1/2 days of wind rain, and fantastic lightning displays. I hate it when the house starts shaking with the thunder though! Didn't get any hail in Hamilton, well, not where we are anyway, but surrounding districts got hit pretty hard. Wind nad rain knocked all my tomatoes over (none broken though), so I've been out restaking and retying them up. Last night was so cold I nearly pulled the winter blankets out again!

As for watering, we mulched heavily over Queens Birthday weekend and several weekends in between then and now. Plus I'm changing my gardening style to no dig gardening - seems to be working so far! Have found that it's been brilliant as looking back at last years gardening diary, I'd been watering every other day for about a month all ready (plus I haven't had to do any major weeding!) All I've had to do so far is water in newly planted seedlings/plants and my pots. I guess time will tell over Jan/Feb if my experimenting will pay off. I'm betting that it won't be long till the Council bring in metered water like what Auckland has.

Have fun gardening!
    GF

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider