SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
frankstives

Xeonemas

frankstives
19 years ago

Ive been reseaching xeronema's and can find virtually no info on X. moorei from New Caledonia, any info, photos, sources of plants or seeds would be appreciated. Even simple info.like how it differs from X. callistemon.

Also came across a ref. to a, X. callistemon f. bracteosa which left me more than a little puzzled not knowing what the variation is

No such problems however with X. callistemon, have lots of info'. growing plants but have a long wait to flowering,have several photo's

Thanks

Frank in the UK

Comments (2)

• botanicalgems
    19 years ago

Hi Frank. I grow Callistemon, but i've saved a bunch of info on Moorei, so here we go with it..

First, the pics. These two were taken by a Gardenwebber, Peter_NZ, while visiting New Caledonia (be patient - the server can be slow):
    {{gwi:2111470}}
    {{gwi:2111471}}
    He said it was at: "Monts Koghis, south-western Grande Terre, New Caledonia, March 2002". I find it rather odd that it was in March (autumn), as X. callistemon blooms in the spring.

Here's some more pics, taken in October (spring) in New Caledonia:
    http://www.endemia.nc/plante/fiche.php?code=116
    Notice how small they can start flowering at.

I emailed a professor in NZ named John Dawson, who had mentioned the species in an article, and he had this to say:

"X. moorei is quite common on rocky mountain ridges, mostly ultramafic but also schist in the north-east. I have seen X. moorei a number of times and it seems to flower at various dates bur this isn't uncommon in the tropics. It is a smaller species with shorter leaves, smaller inforescences and shorter flower heads. It is perhaps a brighter red too. Hybrids between the two could be interesting."

By the way, "ultramafic" rock is very high in iron and magnesium - so much so that most plants can't grow in it. I think X. callistemon grows in a more normal composition of rock (volcanic).

Somewhere here i have a photocopy of the journal Pacific Science, vol. 11, 1957, which gives a botanical comparison of the two species, and explains the "bracteosa" variety. If you don't have access to this, let me know and i'll dig it up.
    Maybe we can trade notes on X. callistemon through email?

• garypaulstut
    19 years ago

Hi Cherimoya,

Before making a comment, are you the same Cherimoya that contributes to the craigslist.org (SFO) gardening forum? Prob. not, but just curious . . .

In any event, and with all due respect, you are mistaken about plants growing in the ultramafic soils in NC. Very large areas of NC are exclusively ultramafic (which also includes high nickel values as well as chromium and other fairly toxic elements), and these regions have an incredible and stupefyingly diverse and varied flora growing on it.

X. moorei does, from what I've heard, grow in ultramaffic environments (as well as others). If you are interested in more information, I may be able to tell you where to go.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor