SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bikiegirl

Lavendar in Qld.

bikiegirl
19 years ago

Can anyone tell me if Lavendar would grow in the Mackay area of Queensland? If so ..... what variety and where do I purchase it? We are drought stricken at the moment but usually December, January and February are our wet season. And I mean wet. Not that we have seen this for quite some years. .....Wendy

Comments (7)

• mistymorn
    19 years ago

French Lavendar is best for Hot and Humid weather.

• Daisyduckworth
    19 years ago

You could try Allardi lavender, which is a cross between French and English, and which is very tolerant of hot, humid conditions. It grows very large, and should suit your conditions very well. Like all plants, when young, it will need more water and general care than a mature plant will, but as it ages, it will get tougher. You should really be able to grow any lavender in your area, if you provide it with excellent drainage. I find lavender does very well here in the Brisbane area, despite the heavy summer rains.

• bikiegirl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

ok.......thank you both for the input. Do you know what type of soil is best for it. Maybe I need to get onto the net and research the proper care needed to grow it up here. But any help you can give me is much appreciated.

• mistymorn
    19 years ago

I know that lavendar dont like wet feet, in the ground here in brissie mine all died, so the next plant went into a raised garden bed, no problems this time. My neighbours are in a raised bed, she has lots and they are ok too.

I dont think they are really fussy about soil, if you could see the soil here you would understand, just look after it when first planted don't overwater and it should be alright.

• Daisyduckworth
    19 years ago

Any in light, well-drained soil is suitable, especially a sandy loam. An addition of compost or decayed manure is beneficial. Dolomite can also be added to raise pH to 6.5-7.5 where required. Lavender does well in a poor soil, so don't bother with fertilisers etc. The harder it has to work at getting nutrients, the better the perfume and flowering.

• aisummers
    18 years ago

Well after much web research and talking to my local plant guy i have purchused french lavender for my front garden. Most people on the web say you cant grow lavender in QLD. So after reading this forum I went down to my local man and he said of course you can. You guys were right lavender doent like to sit in water and it needs sun. We have plenty of sun here in cenral QLD but i have clay soil so I raised the bed and put some bark around my baby but not to close to the stem. I am really petrified of it going black and dying. So i check it every day. iF IT GROWS I AM GOING TO PLANT MORE ALONG THE PATH.

• Jillian Hembrow
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I am on Atherton Tablelands. I have a lot of success with lavender. i think mine is english. I actually plant it in crusher dust or gravel in the ground as our soil is clay. Also it does well under eaves and along the house wall. Doesn't get as much rain there. I have never fertilised it. I take tip cuttings in spring. Mine sometimes get a bit woody. I should prune the tops. Now we don't have as much humidity up here and it's cooler than the coast. Hope the info works.

Sponsored