SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seymoria1

Tecomanthe question.

seymoria1
21 years ago

Hi all.

The reason for posting on this forum is that I have heard that this plant is native to Nea Zealand.

Firstly, please inform how long to expect for the seeds to germinate? Do they need stratification / cold treatment?

Secondly, I have seen some low resolution pictures but have failed to notice its nicely described foliage which has been described specially attractive in the text I read in a catalogue.

Thirdly, will it survive my hot and dry summers (35 deg celsius 5 months a year) and also my winters (minimum night 2 to 4 deg celsius)?

Fourthly, its not an annual, I assume?

Fifthly, the seeds were most unusual; very flat just like a jagged little pieces of paper. I have sown them VERTICALLY in the soil, edge downwards; just like you push nails into the wood. I hopw this is correct.

Thanks for advice.

Amer

Comments (7)

• Kiwi_oz
    21 years ago

I don't know what the seeds are like.
    The NZ Tecomanthe speciosa is a vine and has cream coloured flowers ( longish/trumpet sort of) and is frost tender , but will recover from light frosts if it is an established plant.
    If you like I can look for the flower pic I have and post it on the OZ gallery.
    Heather

• seymoria1
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Heather.
    Thanks for your reply.
    Will it survive hot dry summer as I mentioned above?
    regards,
    amer

• Kiwi_oz
    21 years ago

I am not sure, you would have to really look after it for the first 2-3 years to get it established and I would probably trim it so that you get a good root development instead of letting it run rampant.
    The natural place for this vine ( only 1 left in it's natural state ) is a small island off the north of NZ.
    If you don't know it does rain a lot over here.
    All the plants that are grown to-day are descendant from that 1 plant.
    Heather

• marion_c
    21 years ago

There are other tecomanthes in additon to the nZ one - but they re even more frost tender. You need to specify what species you have.

• tropsanddune
    19 years ago

The only one i know of is the Tecomanthe dendrophylla-venusta, and it is found in the TiRiTiRi Matangi Is. all other plants are descendents of this one specimen.
    When you get more seeds i would like some.

rm

• vetivert8
    19 years ago

Tecomanthe speciosa is the NZ version. It rampantly grows to 9m and has green-tinged flowers in autumn. (It seems to have an affinity for TV aerials...)

One I personally know is at the southern end of the North Island. It is planted in silty clay under the eaves of the house, facing east and sheltered by tall Podocarpus totara so it receives dappled light and frost shelter. It has survived your cool-end temperatures for about ten years now.

It has also survived droughting over many weeks.

IMHO if you were to plant this species on either the east or south of a sheltering building/large evergreen tree then it would have a fair chance. Summer temperatures are usually mid-20s here because we get sea winds coming inland which keep the temperatures milder. This would also be true of its native habitat, despite its northern latitude. 30+ for five months solid would not be common, I believe.

It also grows in the Wellington Botanic Garden in a shaded area, growing up into a very large tree which allows a lovely view of its flowers.

I've seen it recommended that seed be sown in a mix of gritty river sand and sieved, damp peat moss. It is then kept in a moderate temperature with slight humidity.

If you have access to cuttings, then the same mix will give a good strike.

As far as I know, the other Tecomanthe species are all frost-tender tropicals or semi-tropical.

• garypaulstut
    19 years ago

I grow this vine in California, in an area which gets low summer humidity with occasional bouts of high temps into the mid-30C range, if only for a day or two, and Winters that regularly get -1 or even -2 C for breif periods in the early morning/

My plant has survived well enough, with overhead shade during the hottest weather, which also supplies some shelter during the frosty periods.

Sponsored