SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jasmineflower_gw

cement recipes and mosaic clay pots

jasmineflower
16 years ago

Hi! I'm having difficulty using cement to create stepping stones. I'm also having problems with adhering glass mosaic pieces to clay. First off, I used to have no problem creating stepping stones, but now either the cement brand has changed their formula or structure.. or I need an alternative. ? Perhaps I need to find another brand of cement and or use a different mixture such as cement and sand. I have always used the green bag of cement from Lowes. Now my stones become chalky or break and lose their decorations. I use the instructions listed on the bag. I use the normal consistency and procedures. Since my stones continue to flop, I have tried other materials such as portions of Portland sand mixed with cement. I place my designed materials onto a glued paper which is then greased on the bottom side or I place them onto the sticky side of contact paper before I add the cake-like mixture. I lightly tap the plastic stepping stone container. I even have tried chicken wire. Within several months after the stone has been completed, the stones are ruined! My purpose for the stones are purely decorative, so they don't even get any weight placed upon them. I have read different data about creating cement stepping stones from so-called experts. Some say to leave the stone alone as it cures, while others say to mist the stone or to cover it. I don't like attaching the pieces after pouring in the batter. It seems like they look less professional. I need some expert advice.

I also have grown obsessed with designing glass mosaics, but I haven't had any luck with attaching them to clay. I have tried different types of adhesives such as caulk, glue, grout, silicone glue.. I have read that the clay must be painted first. I've tried this by using exterior paint and the paint chips off. I have even lightly sanded the bare clay pots before trying to adhere my glass. No luck. I plan to make a bird bath using a clay saucer and several pots. It should look pretty...if I can find the right adhesive. Can anybody recommend an excellent brand of exterior grout? I'm looking for an inexpensive brand.

Comment (1)

Sponsored