SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thibeaultstable

Cookalong - #39 - Citrus

ann_t
11 years ago

Cookalong #39 ------- CITRUS
clip this post email this post what is this?
see most clipped and recent clippings
Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 31, 11 at 16:13

It seems like a good time to resume the Cookalongs, the last one was in December.

Instead of pulling a name out of a hat, I decided to pick the first ingredient for 2011. I'm choosing Citrus because it's in season and because there are so many good things to use it in.

So please dig out your favorite T+T recipes that call for any of the citrus flavors, orange, lemon, lime or grapefruit. If you know where the recipe came from please give credit.
A quick reminder, please only post recipes you have actually made and if you have a picture please post that too. A recipe that you found on the net is OK if you have made it but is not OK if you haven't. We are only interested in T+T.

In a couple of weeks I'll jot down all the names of those who participated in this Cookalong and pull a new name out of the hat for that person to pick a new focus ingredient.
I'll post that name at the end of the thread and if I can, I'll also email that person. So please check to make sure that your email through GW is working.

My cooking has been in a rut lately so I am really looking forward to some new recipes to liven up our meals.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookalong #38 ---- Dates!
Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cookalong #39 ------- CITRUS

Posted by ruthanna (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 31, 11 at 17:26

Here's one with orange juice as a main ingredient in the sauce. I prefer it with bone-in chicken breasts but made it a couple of weeks ago with the boneless ones.

HONEY CURRIED CHICKEN

4 bone-in chicken or boneless chicken breasts or 1 cut up chicken
1/4 cup melted butter or margarine (I used 2 Tbs. of butter and 1 Tbs. safflower oil)
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup orange juice
2 Tbs. prepared mustard
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. curry powder
2 Tbs. dark rum

Place chicken skin side up in shallow baking dish and preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine remaining ingredients, stirring well. Pour sauce over chicken. Bake for one hour (less for boneless breasts), basting occasionally with sauce.

Note: I usually use skinless bone-in breasts so I turn them over halfway through the cooking time. I also melt the butter in a pyrex measuring cup in the microwave and then add the honey and orange juice directly to it so I don't dirty measuring cups. Can sprikle top with toasted almonds or cashews, if desired.

Photobucket

o

Posted by lindac (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 31, 11 at 17:42

Oh my....you hit me well on this!
This from my DIL...no pics, but it's beautiful with the ornage and red bits...
Citrus baked turkey
1 whole turkey breast about 4 1/2 pounds
Marinade 2 oranges, grated rind and juice
1/2 cup corn oil
1/2 cup honey
1 red bell pepper seeded and diced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced ( I like 2....maybe 3!)
1/2 tsp salt.
Marinate in a plastic bag at least 2 hours or all day. Bake 375 in a covered roasting pan with the marinade poured over it.
Bake an hour, remove lid and continue to bake until thermometer reads 165 ( about 1/2 an hour more). Baste frequently. Remove from oven, let stand 20 minutes, skim fat from sauce, slice turkey and serve with the sauce. I skim the fat from the sauce and thicken with a slurry of cornstarch.

And I don't know who sent me this...but someone on this forum....and it's a keeper!
Linda, this sauce with fresh ginger, orange zest and orange juice is wonderful. I also had a dill sauce available. Everyone loved this. I think it has your name on it.
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
1 1/2 tablespoons grated peeled fresh gingerroot
1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1 1/2 tablespoons drained green peppercorns (*I omitted)
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
Make the sauce while the salmon is poaching:
In a bowl whisk together the sour cream, the mayonnaise, the mustard, the gingerroot, the zest, the juice, the green peppercorns, the sugar, the vinegar, and salt to taste and let the mixture stand at room temperature for 20 minutes to let the flavors develop.

And this dressing will be a happy surprise...lemon and blue cheese are great together!
Fran Lozano's zesty blue dressing
4 oz Maytag blue cheese
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tsp grated lemon peel
juice of � a lemon
1 cup sour cream
1 clove minced garlic.
Mash cheese with fork and mix in oil until creamy. add remaining
ingredients.

I have lots more...but I'll leave room for someone else.
Linda C

o

Posted by doucanoe (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 31, 11 at 18:16

Cardamom Citrus Fruit Salad

1 large ruby pink grapefruit
3 oranges (navel, blood, mandarin or a combination)
1/4 c honey
2 T fresh lime or lemon juice
1/4 tsp ground cardamom

Peel the fruit and cut away the membranes from the individual segments with a sharp knife. Place peeled segments in a large bowl.

Drain off any excess juice from the fruit into a saucepan. Add the lime juice, honey and cardamom. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 10 minutes then remove from heat and cool to room temp.

Pour over the fruit mixture and gently fold to coat fruit. Chill 15 minutes. Serves 4

o

Posted by seagrass (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 31, 11 at 18:41

This is a colorful, fresh citrus salad in the winter...

Orange Salad with Stuffed Dates
SERVES 4

1/2 cup sliced almonds
8 medjool dates
2 ounces soft goat cheese
4 navel oranges
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup whole flat-leaf parsley leaves
1 small red onion, thinly sliced

Set the oven at 375 degrees. Place the almonds on a rimmed baking sheet. Toast the nuts, turning several times, for 5 to 8 minutes or until brown. Watch them carefully, because they burn easily.

Use a sharp paring knife to cut a lengthwise slit on one side of each date; don't cut all the way through. Remove the pits. With a small blunt knife, press 1 tablespoon of the goat cheese inside each date. Pinch the sides of the dates together; the goat cheese should show at the seam.

Use a serrated knife to cut off both ends of one of the oranges. Set a flat end on a cutting board. Make a vertical cut in the orange between the rind and the flesh, starting at the top and curving the knife as you move to the bottom of the fruit. Continue making vertical cuts around the orange, so that the rind and pith are removed and only a round of flesh remains. Place the orange on a rounded side and slice 1/4-inch rounds through the segments (the slices should look like the spokes of a wheel). Repeat with the remaining the oranges.

On each of 4 large salad plates, overlap orange slices. Set the plates aside.

In a bowl, whisk the vinegar with salt and pepper. Gradually whisk in the oil. Spoon the dressing over the oranges.

Garnish the oranges with parsley leaves, red onion slices, and toasted sliced almonds. Set 2 stuffed dates on each plate and serve at once.

DELISH!!

seagrass

o
Buddhacello - similar to Limoncello

Posted by teresa_mn (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 31, 11 at 19:23

I found this on a food blog and cannot find the person's name or name of the blog.

about a quarter cup of grated citron zest (Buddha's Hand)
1 750 ml bottle of 100 proof vodka
2 cups sugar
2.5 cups water

Put zest and vodka in a glass container, cover tightly, and let steep for about two weeks. When time is up, make a syrup using the sugar and water. While it's cooling, strain solids out of vodka using a fine mesh strainer. Then strain again through cloth. (Note: cheesecloth is too coarse; I used rags torn from an old white cotton bed sheet. Be sure to wet the cloth before you start. This step can take a while, but it's worth it to get all the sediment out.) Add about half the sugar syrup to the infused vodka, taste, and keep adding until it tastes sweet enough to you (traditional limoncello is quite sweet, but yours doesn't have to be). Pour into pretty bottle(s) (e.g. the final container) and age for another two weeks.
You can use this recipe to make liqueur from just about any citrus fruit, but you might want to increase the amount of zest for less aromatic fruits such as tangerines.

Preserved Lemons from Jenny's Nourished Kitchen

I have included a link. I love these with a Moroccan Stew or with grilled chicken or fish.

Here is a link that might be useful: Preserved Lemons from the Nourished Kitchen
o

Posted by pat_t (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 1, 11 at 8:15

Don't remember who posted this before - but I make it often using regular oranges and have made it with only lemons.

FLOURLESS CLEMENTINE CAKE

4-5 clementines (about 375g or 1 lb.)
6 eggs
225g sugar (1 cup + 2 Tblsp.)
250g ground almonds (2-1/3 cups)
1 heaping tsp. baking powder

Put the clementines in a pot with some cold water, bring to the boil and cook for 2 hours. Drain and, when cool, cut each clementine in half and remove the seeds. Dump the clementines - skins, pith, fruit and all - and give a quick blitz. Then tip in all the remaining ingredients and pulse to a pulp. Preheat the oven to 375� F. Butter and line an 8-inch springform pan.

Pour the cake mixture into the prepared pan and bake for an hour, when a skewer will come out clean; you'll probably have to cover with foil after about 40 minutes to stop the top burning. Remove from the oven and leave to cool, on a rack, but in the pan. When the cake's cold, you can take it out of the tin. I think this is better a day after it's made, but I don't complain about eating it any time.

I've also made this with an equal weight of oranges, and with lemons, in which case I increase the sugar to one and one-quarter cups and slightly anglicize it, too, by adding a glaze made of confectioner's sugar mixed to a paste with lemon juice and a little water.

Recipe by Nigella Lawson.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to recipe on Food Network website
o

Posted by eandhl (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 1, 11 at 9:23

Question, is it fair to print a recipe I got from a live cooking show?

o

Tue, Feb 1, 11 at 12:58

Sure it's fair as long as you have actually made it.

The origin of a recipe is not the big concern, we just want to make sure you have made it and tested the recipe. Over the years we have had posters that just pretended to cook or bake and who posted recipes that they have never actually made. Sometimes those recipes are a big dud.

o

Posted by publickman (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 1, 11 at 19:40

Since I have several citrus trees, I like to keep up with citrus recipes. Here are some of my favorites:

Lars' Lime Pie
Crust
6 tbsp unsalted butter
2-1/2 tbsp sugar
1-1/4 cups Graham cracker crumbs

Filling
2 tbsp cream cheese or Neufchatel cheese
2 tsp sugar
2 eggs, slightly beaten
3-4 fresh limes (enough for 1/2 cup juice)
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 smidgeon salt (1/32 tsp)
1 - 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk

Topping
1-1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp cornstarch

Directions
Melt butter and add sugar. This can be done in a 9" or 8" Pyrex pie pan, or a bowl, as you prefer. Add the Graham cracker crumbs and mix with a fork to combine. Press into a 9" pie pan and bake 7 minutes at 350� and allow to cool.

Soften the cream cheese in a bowl with 2 tsp sugar and add the eggs. Beat to combine thoroughly. Zest the limes, preferably with a Microplane grater, to obtain 1 tbsp lime zest, to be used later. Squeeze limes to obtain at least half a cup of lime juice, and add the cornstarch . Mix this with the cream cheese/egg mixture and add the salt and condensed milk, and combine. A hand-held mixer can be used at this point, especially if you have used it to beat the cream cheese and eggs. Stir in the lime zest by hand and pour the mixture into the slightly cooled pie shell. Bake at 375 degree for 18 minutes. Allow the pie to cool, and then chill in the refrigerator for at least two hours.

Chill the egg beaters and bowl for the whipping cream in the freezer while the pie is chilling, and then whip the cream until soft peaks form. Add the sugar and cornstarch and beat until fairly stiff. Cover the top of the chilled pie with whipped cream and serve.

Yield: 8 servings.

Lars' Hummus

Ingredients
1/2 pound (1-1/3 c) dried garbanzo beans, (about 3-1/2 cups cooked)
1/3 cup lemon juice
2-3 large cloves of garlic (4-5 if small)
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup toasted sesame seed oil
1/2 cup tahini (toasted, if available)
2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cayenne
1 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper (or to taste)
1-2 tbsp water, if needed

Directions
Cook beans according to package instructions. I generally boil them for two minutes in a large pan, with triple height of water. Then I turn off the heat and soak for 1 hour covered and then wash them. Return to pan with water to cover plus 1/2 tsp baking soda and simmer for about 1-1/2 hours, or until tender. They will get tender much more quickly with the added baking soda. After cooking, I rinse them twice with cold water to remove the cooking water.

Put the drained beans in a large food processor with the peeled garlic cloves (coarsely chopped) and the rest of the ingredients. Process until smooth. If it is too thick, thin with water, a tablespoon at a time.

Avgolemono Sauce
(use this sauce over noodles with chicken)

1 cup stock (or 1 cup water with 1 tsp soup base � vegetable or chicken)
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
1/4 cup lemon juice (approx. one very large lemon)
2 eggs
2 tbsp water
1/8 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp black pepper
salt to taste, unless using soup base that contains salt)

Heat the stock, or heat the water and dissolve the soup base.

Make a roux with the butter and flour and add the stock. In a separate bowl, lightly beat the eggs and add the lemon juice and water. Slowly add this mixture to the thickened stock, stirring constantly, and heat to desired temperature. Add pepper and salt, as needed.

I've made all of the recipes many times.

Lars

o

Posted by katiec (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 1, 11 at 23:46

At our house it's called Jessy's Sauce. Love this for grilled/baked chicken, fish or pork. I can quadruple batches for Christmas gifts and for the pantry.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Lime-Chipotle Sauce

Recipe By :Jessy- Cooking Forum
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/2 cup honey
2 tablespoons minced canned chipotle chilies in adobo sauce
3 tablespoons brown mustard -- (or dijon)
1/2 cup lime juice
1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Season with salt and pepper

Blend in food processor. Serve sauce as a marinade grilled meats, poultry, and fish if your guests don't get to it first with tortilla chips. Makes 1 1/2 cups.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Katie's note: This can be canned in a boiling waterbath for 15 min. at 0-1000 ft., 20 min. at 1001-6000 ft. and 25 min. above 6000 ft.

o

Posted by pat_t (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 2, 11 at 5:56

Wondering - has anyone tried Jessy's sauce on chicken wings?

o

Posted by caliloo (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 2, 11 at 6:36

These are all recipes I make regularly and can highly recommend.

Margarita Balls
Servings: 24

Ingredients:
1 (12 ounce) package vanilla wafers
1/2 pound ground almonds
1/4 pound white chocolate
1/2 cup tequila
3 Tbsp Rose’s Lime Juice
1/4 cup orange marmalade
2 tablespoons light corn syrup

Directions:
1. Mix 1 box (12 oz) vanilla wafers, crushed into crumbs, with 1/2 lb ground blanched almonds.
2. Melt four 1 oz squares white chocolate according to package directions.
3. In blender, process tequila, orange marmalade, lime juice and light corn syrup until smooth. Stir, along with melted chocolate, into crumb mixture.
4. Shape into 1 inch balls and coat with sugar. Store in refrigerator.

Macadamia Crusted Halibut with Citrus Butter Sauce
Serves 4
Four 6 oz. halibut filets
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup panko flakes (Japanese bread crumbs)
1/4 cup macadamia nuts, toasted, ground fine
2 Tbsp. olive oil
salt and pepper
1 tsp each grated orange, lemon and lime zest
1/2 cup orange juice
2 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 minced shallot
1 tbsp honey
5 tbsp butter
Season each filet with salt and pepper. Mix the toasted macadamia nuts
into the soft butter. Add in panko flakes. Spread top of fish with crust and sear
quickly in 2 Tbsp olive oil in hot sauté pan on both sides.
Chop the shallot very fine. Saute in 1 tbsp butter until soft. Add the zests, juices and honey. Bring to a boil and reduce just a bit. Add 4 tbsp butter and swirl it to incorporate. Serve over the fish.

Honey Ginger Salmon

1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup orange juice
1/4 cup honey
1 green onion, chopped
1 1/2 lbs salmon fillet

4 servings

1. In a large self-closing plastic bag, combine first six ingredients; mix well.
2. Place salmon in bag and seal tightly.
3. Turn bag gently to distribute marinade.
4. Refrigerate 15 minutes or up to 30 minutes for stronger flavor.
5. Turn bag occasionally.
6. Lightly grease grill rack.
7. Preheat grill to medium heat.
8. Remove salmon from marinade; reserve the marinade.
9. Grill 12-15 minutes per inch of thickness or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
10. Brush with reserved marinade up until the last 5 minutes of cooking time.
11. Discard leftover marinade.

o

Wed, Feb 2, 11 at 8:46

Yes I have made this several times.
Ingredients

* 4 chicken breast halves (I used boneless breasts)
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 2 tablespoons butter
* 1 large onion, finely chopped
* 1 teaspoon paprika
* 1 1/2 cups green onions, chopped (about 6 green onions, including green part)
* 1/2 cup orange juice
* 2 tablespoons bourbon
* 1 cup chopped fresh peaches (about 2 medium peaches)
* Dash nutmeg

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Sprinkle chicken quarters with salt and pepper. Place in a 13 by 9-inch baking pan and set aside.

In a medium skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the paprika and all but 1 tablespoon of the green onions and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for an additional 4 minutes.

Spread the onion mixture evenly over the chicken, spoon the orange juice and bourbon over the top, and bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, turning and basting occasionally. (I covered during most of this time)

Remove the chicken from the oven, spoon the peaches over the top, sprinkle with nutmeg, and return to the oven for an additional 15 to 20 minutes or until the chicken is tender and shows no trace of pink near the bone. Remove the chicken from the pan, place on serving dish, and pour the juices over the chicken. Garnish with the remaining green onions and serve immediately

o

Posted by jessyf (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 2, 11 at 9:11

Hey Pat - I haven't tried that recipe with wings! But I will now. One thing I notice with this marinade is I have to watch the meat (salmon is awesome) carefully, the high sugar level means it can burn quickly.

o
RE: Oops

Wed, Feb 2, 11 at 12:27

I forgot the name of the recipe. "Bourbon laced tipsy Chicken"

o

Wed, Feb 2, 11 at 14:36

Eandhl, that recipe sounds really good.

o

Posted by chase (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 2, 11 at 14:44

This was in timely if you are lucky enough to find Seville Oranges which are only available in February.

2 lbs Seville Oranges (the ugliest oranges in the world)
6 cups water
1 lemon
7 1/2 cups sugar.

Place oranges and lemon in a large pot cover with water and simmer ( do not boil) until soft, about 2 hours.

Remove fruit, cool slightly and then cut in half.

Scrape out seeds, pith and flesh . Place pith and seeds in a cheescloth bag. Return bag and flesh to the water.

Slice the skins into desired thickness or process in a food processor.

Add peel and sugar to the pot. Bring to a boil and boil about 30 minutes (maybe less maybe more depending on natural pectin) or until reaches gel stage.

Remove form heat, skim foam , stir. Pour into sterilized jars and hot water bath 10 mins.

o

Wed, Feb 2, 11 at 16:09

Id be remiss if I didn't post this one because it's one of my all time favourite recipes! Thanks again for the umpteenth time Gina!

Lemon Linguine With Scampi (Gina)

3/4 Lb linguine
3 Tbl unsalted butter
2 1/2 Tbl good olive oil
1 1/2 Tbl minced garlic (4 cloves)
1 Lb large shrimp (about 16 shrimp), peeled and deveined
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/4 Tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/3 Cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
1/2 lemon, zest grated
1/4 Cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
1/4 lemon, thinly sliced in half-rounds
1/8 Tsp hot red pepper flakes

Cook pasta to al dente.

Meanwhile, in a large (12-inch), heavy-bottomed pan, melt the butter and olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the garlic. Saute for 1 minute. Be careful, the garlic burns easily! Add the shrimp, 1/2 teaspoons of salt, and the pepper and saute until the shrimp have just turned pink, about 5 minutes, stirring often. Remove from the heat, add the parsley, lemon zest, lemon juice, lemon slices, and red pepper flakes. Toss to combine.

When the pasta is done, drain the cooked linguine and then put it back in the pot. Immediately add the shrimp and sauce, toss well, and serve.

Note: I usually add some chicken broth to get more sauce.

o

Posted by caliloo (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 2, 11 at 16:44

Oh gee Sharon! You reminded me of another recipe from years ago that I make without even consciously thinking about it. It is very good.

Alexa

Lemon Chicken from Rao’s

two (2-1/2 to 3 lbs each) broiling chickens, halved
Lemon Sauce (recipe follows)
1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
Preheat broiler for at least 15 minutes.
Broil chicken halves, turning once, for about 30 minutes or until skin is golden brown and juices run clear when bird is pierced with a fork.
Remove chicken from broiler, leaving broiler on. Using a very sharp knife, cut each half into about 6 pieces (leg, thigh, wing, and 3 small breast pieces).
Place chicken on a baking sheet with raised sides. Pour Lemon Sauce over the chicken, and toss to coat well. If necessary, divide sauce in half and do this in two batches.
Return to broiler, and broil for 3 minutes. Turn each piece and broil for an additional minute. Remove from broiler, and evenly portion chicken onto 6 warm serving plates.
Pour sauce into a heavy saucepan, and stir in the parsley. Place over high heat and boil for 1 minute. Pour an equal amount of sauce over chicken on each plate, and serve with lots of crusty bread to absorb the sauce.
LEMON SAUCE
2 cups fresh lemon juice
1 cup olive oil
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1-1/2 tsp minced or crushed garlic, or more according to your taste
1/2 tsp dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste
Place all ingredients into a large bowl, and whisk together until well blended. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use. Whisk or shake vigorously just before use.

o

Wed, Feb 2, 11 at 18:43

Thanks wizardnm, it is really good and I have served it to company a few times. Everyone seems to like it. Can't take any credit I saw it on a cooking show.

o

Posted by annie1992 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 2, 11 at 20:00

Alexa, I just made that for the first time, using some of the Meyer lemons from Arlene. It was really good. I don't have a broiler to speak of, I have one of those things under my oven what means you have to lie on your stomach on the floor to put anything under the "broiler".

So, I browned the chicken in the oven, dumped the sauce over top and baked it until the chicken was done and the sauce reduced a bit. It turned out wonderfully.

Teresa, I just made limoncello from some of those Meyer lemons too, I used Doucanoe's recipe and it was/is really good.

OK, one of my new favorites

Photobucket

Shaker Lemon Pie

From the episode: Two Perfect Pies

You will need 6 tablespoons of lemon juice for this recipe. Have an extra lemon on hand in case the 3 sliced lemons do not yield enough juice.

Serves 8.

Ingredients
1 double-crust pie dough
3 large lemons , sliced thin and seeded (see note)
1 3/4 cups sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cornstarch
4 large eggs
1 tablespoon heavy cream

Instructions
1. Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 425 degrees. Line a 9-inch pie plate with 1 dough round and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

2. Squeeze lemon slices in fine-mesh strainer set over bowl; reserve juice (you should have 6 tablespoons). Bring drained slices and 2 cups water to boil in saucepan, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until slices are softened, about 5 minutes. Drain well and discard liquid. Combine softened lemon slices, sugar, salt, and 1/4 cup reserved lemon juice in bowl; stir until sugar dissolves.

3. Whisk cornstarch and remaining lemon juice in large bowl. Whisk eggs into cornstarch mixture, then slowly stir in lemon slice mixture, then slowly stir in lemon slice mixture until combined. Pour into chilled pie shell. Brush edges of dough with 1 teaspoon cream and top with remaining dough round. Seal, crimp edges, and brush top of dough with remaining cream. Using paring knife, cut 4 vents in top of dough.

4. Bake until light golden, about 20 minutes, then decrease oven temperature to 375 degrees and continue to bake until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool on wire rack for at least 1 hour. Serve. (Pie can be wrapped in plastic and refrigerated for 2 days.)

We found that using a knife to evenly cut the lemons into paper-thin slices was a difficult and time-consuming task. We had better results with a mandoline (or V-slicer), which produced perfectly thin slices in no time at all. If you don’t have a mandoline, we did find another piece of kitchen equipment that will make the process easier��"the freezer. Popping the lemons into the freezer for about 30 minutes firms them up for better hand-slicing, which is best accomplished with a serrated knife.

This was one of the few Cook's Illustrated recipes that I've tried that I like and will use again, it was delicious, tart and bitter from the rind.

Annie

o

Wed, Feb 9, 11 at 17:38

Here are a couple of my favorite orange recipes. I need to make both again very soon!

Spicy Orange Beef

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 pound round steak, cut into
thin strips on the diagonal
1/4 cup orange peel, cut into
slivers
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger 2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup beef broth
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup sherry
1/4 cup orange marmalade
1/2 teaspoon crushed red
pepper flakes

1. In a wok or skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add beef strips 1/3 at a time. Stir-fry for 3 minutes or until browned, removing the done pieces to a plate lined with paper towels.
2. Return all the beef to the wok. Stir in orange peel, garlic, and ginger; stir-fry 1 minute.
3. In a medium bowl, combine cornstarch, broth, soy sauce, sherry, marmalade, and red pepper. Pour this mixture into the beef, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook for 1 minute. Serve hot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I've made this using sour cream when I didn't have any ricotta on hand. I like a rich dough...

Orange Glazed Coffee Cake

1 pkg active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm milk
1/2 cup granulaqted sugar
1 TBS grated orange zest
1 Lg. egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup warm water
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 tsp salt
3 1/2-4 cups all purpose flour
GLAZE: 1 large egg, lightly beaten

ICING: 1 cup confectioners' sugar; 1 1/2-2 TBS fresh orange juice

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until foamy, 5-10 min. Stir the warm milk, orange juice, sugar, ricotta cheese, orange zest, salt and egg into the yeast mixture. Using heavy-duty electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and set on low speed, beat 2 cups flour into the yeast mixture until a wet dough forms. Beat in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until a stiff dough forms. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, 5 to 10 minutes, adding more flour as needed to prevent sticking. Place the dough in a large greased bowl, turning to coat. Cover loosely with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours. Grease a 10 inch springform pan. Punch down the dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 1 to 2 minutes. Divide the dough into 3 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 20 inch long rope. Braid the ropes together. Coil braided dough in prepared pan; tuck ends under. Cover loosely with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 425 deg.F. Brush the dough with glaze. Bake until the top of the cake is golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Turn the cake out onto a wire rack to cool slightly.

To prepare icing, in a small bowl, stir together the confectioners' sugar and orange juice until smooth. Spread icing over warm cake and serve warm. Makes approx. 12 servings.

Nancy

o

Posted by brightonborn (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 13, 11 at 7:06

Looking for a good lemon square recipe please !!!

o

Sun, Feb 13, 11 at 16:56

I've made this recipe with many different varieties of fish. The one under the citrus mixture in the photo is a striped bass. Sometimes I use olive oil instead of the butter.

Photobucket

o

Posted by doucanoe (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 13, 11 at 17:54

Here you go, brightonborn.

Lemon Butter Bars
Source: Land-O-Lakes

Crust 1 c AP flour
1/2 c butter, softened
1/4 c sugar

Filling
3/4 c sugar
2 eggs
3 T lemon juice
2 T AP flour
1 tsp grated lemon peel
1/4 tsp baking powder

Powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350F. Combine all crust ingredients in a small bowl. Beat at low speed, scraping bowl often, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into bottom of ungreased 8x8-inch square baking pan. Bake 15-20 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.

Meanwhile combine all filling ingredients except powdered sugar in small bowl. Beat at low speed, scraping bowl often until well mixed. Pour filling over hot crust. Bake 18-20 minutes or until filling is set.

Sprinkle with powdered sugar while still warm and again when cool. Cut into squares.

Makes 16 bars.

Linda

o

Sun, Feb 13, 11 at 19:31

Oops, I forgot to add the recipe.

CITRUS-BAKED FISH

1 orange, unpeeled, cut into very thin slices
1 lemon, unpeeled, cut into very thin slices
1 lime, unpeeled, cut into very thin slices
1 large onion, peeled and cut into very thin slices
1 tsp. salt
2 � 3 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
1 whole fish, gutted (head can be on or off as you prefer), about 5 lbs.
3 Tbs. butter or margarine

Mix together fruits, onions, Old Bay and salt. Place fish on a rack in a baking dish and put 2/3 of the citrus mixture in the center cavity and 1/3 on top. Dot with butter. Bake at 350 degrees until fish is done. Discard stuffing before serving.

o

Posted by cloudy_christine (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 14, 11 at 16:46

This is very quick and easy, and it's good.

Orange Braised Chicken Thighs with Green Olives

Gourmet : December 1995
Can be prepared in 45 minutes or less. Serves 2.

4 chicken thighs with skin
2 teaspoons olive oil
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1 medium onion, sliced thin
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup small pitted green olives

Rinse chicken and pat dry. Season chicken with salt and pepper. In a heavy skillet heat oil over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking and brown chicken, transferring as browned to a plate.

Pour off all but about 1 tablespoon fat from pan. Reduce heat to moderate and in skillet cook garlic, stirring, until it begins to turn golden. Add onion and cook, stirring, until pale golden. Stir in cumin, citrus juices, and salt and pepper to taste and add chicken and olives. Simmer chicken, covered, 25 minutes, or until tender.

o

Mon, Feb 14, 11 at 17:57

Just finished up a batch of marmalade. A labour of love because I don't care for it much but himself loves it and after all it is Valentines Day....

o

Posted by jessyf (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 15, 11 at 7:36

My new favorite sauce/marinade/dip/glaze for veggies, chicken, -

Equal parts hoisin and orange juice, mixed

Comment

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County