udontknowme

Discussions in Home Decorating Forum

udontknowme
14 years ago

Comments (88)

• pharaoh
    14 years ago

udontknowme,

could you create a histogram of most frequent posters on this forum?

• udontknowme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

pharoh, I could, but that might waste three or four minutes of my time. So I'll have to pass on that request. Sorry. :(

• Related Discussions

What did I do wrong? (x post in Home Decor Forum)

Q

Comments (13)
    This could be just a matter of not scoring the tape before pulling it, no? When you tape and then paint over the tape, you have created a seal there between the trim and the walls. You can't really just pull the tape without breaking that seal first or you may pull mass amounts of wall paint off in sheets. You can break that seal with a sharp putty knife or razor knife. This paint is not cured...in a month of so it will be stuck a lot better than it is now. I'm not saying there isn't an adhesion issue...there may very well be one, but I am saying that it could also be just a matter of not scoring the tape before pulling it.
    ...See More

Bee - You Need to Visit the Home Decorating Forum

Q

Comments (1)
    Thanks mother. I haven't been on tonight until now.
    ...See More

XPost from home decorating forum - Dreadful Real Estate Photos

Q

Comments (5)
    Don't laugh too hard The real estate agent had trouble chasing college son out of the house to show the house. It was an 8 year old brand new house(at the time) except for son who would camp out in the master bedroom with his extra long twin mattress, stereo, dorm fridge, TV and computer surrounding the mattress. We did look past the vagrant and snagged a great deal on the house. The main fridge, DW, range, fireplace etc had never been used. No nail holes in the entire house-aka no pictures or even window treatments. The real estate agent would call to get him out but most times he was still in his pod room - cringe. Dad (not my dad) bought house but never moved in - I don't know the whole story but betting a broken relationship. We joke he was an absent minded professor who forgot he even owned it But we snagged a great A2 house on the outskirts of the city! It was a Showcase of Homes example in 1988 and we bought it in 1995. It had a number of upgrades for the home show.
    ...See More

Allison's beautiful home tour (from Decorating forum)

Q

Comments (4)
    Yes Steph it is lovely. Like you I would not have the energy to keep it up. Nor the desire to have to travel through so much house all the time. But for those that need a house that large it is gorgeous. It looks so nice and comfprtable. Love her choice of furniture. Funny years ago I always dreamed of a large house and once or twice we had 1850 SQ FT and I learned that was way more house then I would ever need and too much to take care of. I am happy with our little 1375 ish. Always the option to close in the front porch for another 200SQ FT. Just not really sure what it would gain me other then it would then remind me of my Grandmothers house I loved so much when I was a kid and slept on her enclosed front porch.
    ...See More
  • missmary - 6b/Central Maryland
    14 years ago

I spend most of my time at landscape and roses... only popped back in here tonight to check out what's being discussed these days.

This is funny and clever to me. Thanks for the lift.

• segbrown
    14 years ago

I thought it was quite funny, but I'm mostly a lurker, too. :-) Maybe it's a lurker thing.

• anele_gw
    14 years ago

On the contrary-- you don't fail at humor at all! You are super funny!

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

I, too thought it was meant to be funny - and it is. I think that the response would have been different if it was a "regular" who posted it. udontknowme, I hope that you stick around and become a regular!

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

I think youdon'tknowme is smart as a whip and funny. And more importantly he or she doesn't like green, which is rare.

Come join us!

....Jane

• udontknowme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, gosh. I'm glad that there were some people who thought it was funny. Now I won't be crying into my pillow all night about this. It just never crossed my mind about the "new poster" aspect of this. One of the dangers of being a long time lurker, you forget that you're a lurker. You may know lots about everyone else, but they don't know your intentions. Anyway, no big deal. I am glad it amused some. It really must be a lurker thing.

• parma42
    14 years ago

After the second chart, it was pretty obvious you were kidding around. :)

If you've been luking for *that* long, however, you've got to know that people mix it up here fairly often and developing a thick hide is a prerequisite for a happy member (ironically, especially a funny one).

• ladyamity
    14 years ago

I'm with Red.

I chuckled at the first pie and LOL'd at the second.

udontknowme, You forgot a very important slice of the pie! .......... "Is this art hung too high?"
    *grin*

• texashottie
    14 years ago

Love it!! Welcome, UDontKnowMe!

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

All right, if you say so. So how about starting a real thread? What do you want to post about?

• artlover13060
    14 years ago

This has actually been a rather humorous thread, and boy could I use some humor right now! It doesn't sound like anyone is offended, so come out and play.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

I also loved this thread and want to add a few pie slices with my width of boards for floors, which white paint shade on the kitchen cabinets (I learned that white was not white on this thread and it has helped me a lot when I am choosing colors and whites), is this painting to high on the wall (I will be asking this with pictures when I am finally ready to put pictures on the walls in my family room that have been empty for 12 years), which beige color for the walls, which brand of paint is best, which white trim, Which Lamp shade or which lamp height, etc.

Thanks for joining us to the original poster and introducing yourself in a humorous way.

• lkplatow
    14 years ago

I too mostly lurk and I thought it was hilarious.

As far as the subject matter of our posts, I LOVE the CL finds posts (though they often make me jealous, as I comb CL regularly but never find anything half as nice). I don't see anything wrong with the is this dated or what paint color threads either - heck, I've posted many a paint color thread of my own.

I love this place no matter what the subject matter of the posts. I could, however, do without the attitude of those who seem to think they are the appointed forum police - yes, spammers do post here (and are easy enough to ignore) but there's been more than one time that our "police force" has driven off real peole in their efforts to patrol the legitimacy of a new poster. I hope this doesn't become another one...welcome, udon'tknowme!

• lyfia
    14 years ago

Well you gave me a nice chuckle this morning. Needed it to wake up after being up since 2am with the baby and need to make it through the day at work awake.

• bellaflora
    14 years ago

that's very funny.

"please vote on this" and "does this go w/ that" need their own categories :-D

• hhireno
    14 years ago

Welcome UDKM, I think your graphs are very funny & enjoy your sense of humor. I hope we'll be seeing more of you. Maybe a graph of responses to your graph? (I'm grabbing the stick of trouble and giving it a stir...)

I'm somewhere between a lurker and regular with my occasional comments. My favorite posts are the ones that make me laugh so, thanks. Jean

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

Udontknowme, I like your humorous writing style. You should join in more. You sound perky and opinionated.

I think what got everyone discombobulated was that you registered on the same day you posted AND your screen name looked like one that would be used by a 'hit and run' dual identity regular. If your screen name had been related to decorating like 'IluvToile' or 'GnuHouseBlues' it would not have seemed so mysterious and ominous.

The pie graph IS funny and I have seen similar ones on other types of boards. Every site seems to have topics that are done over and over and it becomes and "inside joke" for regulars. It's funny.

Posted by hhireno: "Maybe a graph of responses to your graph?"

ROTFL. I was thinking the same thing.

Hmmm? Maybe it will appear?

• pris
    14 years ago

OK. "I lurked a long time and just decided to post today"

I quess I'm confused. How do you lurk on GW without being a registered member? Can you log in as a "guest" without being a member? Not that it really matters because we welcome all members and encourage everyone to post if they have something to say but udkm registered July 6, 2009. Kinda limits lurking time unless you can "visit" without being registered.

• parma42
    14 years ago

"I quess I'm confused. How do you lurk on GW without being a registered member?"

Sure you can lurk without being registered, you just can't post. That's the way it is with most boards.

• tinam61
    14 years ago

I guess I *lurk* alot. LOL I read and don't sign in unless there is a specific post I respond to. Sometimes I really only have time to read through quickly, not respond. Other times I don't have anything to offer in response.

tina

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

UDKM, see how easy it is to stir the pot 'round here? LOL! Loved it! Welcome!

• pris
    14 years ago

Thanks, parma. See what age does to you. I registered in 2001 but due to time constraints with job and family didn't have time to do much lurking or posting. I probably did lurk as an unregistered member but just don't remember. I retired in January so have had more time for both but still lurk more than post.

• parma42
    14 years ago

"Thanks, parma. See what age does to you."

Tell me about it. :) Around here, we call it 'mentalpause".

• redbazel
    14 years ago

I'm not a lurker. I'm a reader. I pop in almost every day to read what's on people's minds, to see if there's a tip I can use, to see what my3dogs got on Craigslist, to look at new photos, and to scan for who-knows-what.
    Some days I post. But the posting-to-reading ratio is way off. I assume that there are hundreds of people on 'Decorating' as well as other forums, who have never been interested enough to post. Some don't have that much time. Some don't want to make up a screen name and register at message boards. (For a long time, I couldn't see the photos at a popular board because I refused to register for anything else) Some only want ideas and paint colors to try. They aren't really interested in talking to others on the board. It's not a big deal. In any group of ten people, there will be those Telling the jokes and stories and those Laughing and Listening. If we were all talking, no one would be listening.

Hate the term 'Lurker'. I know it's descriptive, but I still hate it. It has a negative feel that shouldn't be there. And I really don't like it when people frown on new posters. Why is that? Everybody had to be new at some point.

Anyway, I'm a reader.

Red

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

" Kinda limits lurking time unless you can "visit" without being registered."

Anyone can read this board. You have to register to post. Some boards do not allow reading without registering (ie; you can't get beyond the home page) or one is limited to what they can see if they do not register (ie; you can't see the discussion board but can read the articles, you can't view the member lists, you can't view archived articles/threads,ect).

I know I lurked for a long time before registering because I did not know if this place spammed or sold email addy's. I am cautious. I made mistakes in the past registering on some boards and got bombarded spam. Once I felt it was OK to register I did. Then I lurked for a bit until a post struck me to participate. Then the flood gates opened.

• beache
    14 years ago

I loved the pie chart--laughed at it--and I hope UDKM will post often! Seems like s/he would fit right in!

beache

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

Really, very few of us on here *know anyone else on here. One of us could be the editor of a "shelter" magazine, or a homeless person who uses the computer at their local library.

The nail that UDKM hit for me was the lack of discussion of design intent. I have found when I veer too much in that direction (give the man a fish, vs. teach a man to fish) I get a certain amount of response that is in the nature of eyerolling, "shut up", or "ok, know-it all". A lot of discussion is about the quick fix, not about a process that will lead the OP (any OP) to come to their own decision/conclusions about what is best for them.

• Ideefixe
    14 years ago

I think it's hilarious. But surely "Family photos--yes or no?" should have its own slice.

And of course people comment on posts and trends in posts. Isn't that what we do here?

• awm03
    14 years ago

" I have found when I veer too much in that direction... I get a certain amount of response that is in the nature of eyerolling,...."

Whaaat?! I LOVE that stuff! More theory and concepts, please!

• mom2reese
    14 years ago

The nail that UDKM hit for me was the lack of discussion of design intent. I have found when I veer too much in that direction (give the man a fish, vs. teach a man to fish) I get a certain amount of response that is in the nature of eyerolling, "shut up", or "ok, know-it all". A lot of discussion is about the quick fix, not about a process that will lead the OP (any OP) to come to their own decision/conclusions about what is best for them.

Palimpset: I would love to hear more of your (and others') thoughts on design on this board! I do like this board, but I find myself more on the kitchen board even though my kitchen has been done for ages because there's a lot of great design discussion/advice that I can carry over to the rest of my home.

UDKM - I thought your chart was funny and not mean spirited, but I'm mostly a lurker/reader here, too.

• runninginplace
    14 years ago

"I could, however, do without the attitude of those who seem to think they are the appointed forum police - yes, spammers do post here (and are easy enough to ignore) but there's been more than one time that our "police force" has driven off real peole in their efforts to patrol the legitimacy of a new poster."

Yes, yes and yes!!! I had my own (much ruder, unfortunately) outburst at someone over the weekend about this very issue. I don't know why there need to be self-appointed arbiters of what should and shouldn't be posted. And the suspicious querying of anyone who dares to register and post on the same day is definitely offensive.

Not to mention telling or asking someone to post a 'real' discussion topic. Who are any of us to decide what should and shouldn't be asked? And besides, the fact that that there are 50+ responses so far on this topic indicates it is plenty real :).

UDKM, welcome and I for one hope you keep tossing stuff out there. Quirky and different is fun!

Ann

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

Well Ann, I missed reading your little hissy fit directed at me, until just now. I had not gone back to that thread because it did not interest me after I saw what it was about. I originally thought someone maybe needed help in getting a refund for undelivered/damaged/wrong color merchandise and did not know how to proceed. That was the reason I clicked it on.

"I don't know why there need to be self-appointed arbiters of what should and shouldn't be posted........How about if you not order people how to post?"

Pot meet kettle.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ann's Rant

• udontknowme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you to everyone for all of the kind remarks.

• deedee-2008
    14 years ago

I, too, wish the term "lurker" wasn't so commonly used. I always picture the guy in the trench coat who jumps out at you from the bushes. Thanks for providing us with a "kinder, gentler" word, Red. I must admit I do alot of reading/picture viewing here, but rarely post on this side. I thought the piechart thing was cute.

• lakeaffect
    14 years ago

Yup, the pie chart was hilarious, and I am definitely a "reader" as well. I do answer the occasional post, but don't have a lot of time on this forum typically, plus I'm no diplomat, so if I don't have anything nice to offer, I don't post. I also don't ask questions, I have a specific vision, I work towards it, and I don't ask anyone for input (besides mr. sandyponder and little ms. sandyponder).

But I've learned a lot from some of the poster here, and would like to read more about design theory, but I probably won't post a lot about that either!

sandyponder

• mjsee
    14 years ago

Haven't read the entire thread...but I was amused.

• deeinohio
    14 years ago

Pharaoh:
    I'm mostly a lurker here, too, but here's something close to your request. If I had Excel on my laptop, I'd make you a great pie chart! Meanwhile...

Here is a link that might be useful: Who posts most ?

• dietcokejunkee
    14 years ago

Great post! Too funny!
    from another lurker, occasional poster

• sweeby
    14 years ago

Very interesting Dee! and Thanks ;-)

• golddust
    14 years ago

I only used the term 'Lurker' because that is what Texasporch used about herself. I think of the term lurker the same way as reader, internet speaking. There isn't any difference in my mind. Stalker is different. I've been stalked on the internet and have received police involved death threats. That is a whole other situation that involves the ($$) work I do. Here, we can be more flexible on terms used, right?

But the readers/lurkers just think they have nothing to contribute. In reality, they can change up everything (for the better). Just sayin'. UDKM is the perfect example.

There must be more of you out there, so chime in! We need new blood.

• rosie
    14 years ago

Thanks, UDKM, for a good laugh from a very long time reader. But surely "What's your favorite white?" warrants a slice? Look forward to more of your oblique viewpoint...

• twizzis
    14 years ago

I mostly reside in lurkdom on GW, but oh do I love this!

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

Gosh I ranked #4 on who posts the most. One might think that perhaps I talk too much and I am full of way too much useless information and nothing could be futher from the truth. (lol) Now, what do you have to say about yourself Miss Squirrelheaven, who ranked #1.

I would of thought Goldust would of ranked #1. Now please don't get mad at me Goldust I am just teasing honey.

Thanks for that info deeinohio, very interesting.

......Jane

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

I said, Whatttt??? Virtuals don't count, lol. Lawdy, I can't even imagine how high I must have ranked in the past. I feel like I don't even post very much anymore! Must've been a, ahem, busy week, heh heh.

• Circus Peanut
    14 years ago

OK, here's a modest attempt by another semi-lurker:

• hhireno
    14 years ago

hee, hee, hee....you graph geeks are funny

• katiee511
    14 years ago

LMAO circuspeanut at your graph....... I just LOVE when boxerpups answers a question, I swear she has the best pictures!!

• Nion Marvin
    2 years ago

If it was published by "ordinary", the answer would be different, not like that. It must be funny - and it is. udontknowme simcasts, I hope that you will stay and become permanent on this site, such people lift your spirits!

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville